• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late Season Success?

Just wondering how everyone is doing so far with the Late season upon us?

Birds around? Decoy setups that are working? etc

We went out this afternoon. Found a field with about 250 birds in it. We set up after they were in the field. They flew in about 10:00 a.m. We set up at 1:00. We were able to get a few flocks in, but the skirted us on the downwind side, had a few single set right in and ended up with 5 for 5 guys.

Not very good for us. We pretty much set up the normal horseshoe pattern. Gonna try again tomorrow and tighten up the spread a little. Definitely gonna set up early in the morning.

Birds have been sittin in this field all day. You guys finding the same thing? It seems different areas of the state we are finding that the birds are coming out at different times. Hard to pattern.

Late season is a little harder to pattern than the early season/regular season. Sometimes they show up late morning in sit til sundown or never show up. I have heard of people going out all day and never had a goose come in when there were good numbers in the field the day before. But its not always like that though. Tough luck I guess....hopefully it gets better for you and good luck the rest of the season.

We've been hunting corn and notcied that about 400-500 birds had been using a green cover rye field. today we set up on an irrigation pipe and wacked 17 in couple of hours.

Most geese have been moving 9:30 - 10:00 am and some are waiting until mid after noon and feeding until dark and going back to the river to roost. today was good test for the black cloud as many shots were in the 40-45 yard range and the BBB did the trick.

Pounded our limit of 15 yesterday out of our pit in a cut bean field. Just running traffic with about 5 dozen silos, 2 1/2 dozen foots and a couple dozen shells. Gotta love the snow, birds just get stupid. At one point had a flock of 600 birds circling in and had about 100 on the ground in the dekes. Didn't wanna wreck that many birds so we just watched for bands and when we didn't see any just let them land and then finally they flew off.

Today was some TOUGH hunting. Rain early turning to wet snow covered the dekes. Then the blowing snow and dropping temps was hard on the hands. It was cold enough in a pit, a layout blind or something would have been unbearable. Most of the birds didn't seem to fly our way because of the strong wind but still mananged to scratch 8 before the weather chased us inside.

The last week before everything froze around Nicollet County was the best alll season for me. i've never had flocks of 100 just look at my decoys are cup! those couple days make it all worth it. i'm only 17 and i haven't got the experiance many duck hunts like that but watching birds work like that sure get ya adictded to waterfowl hunting.