• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many Pulls...

M1Tanker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 25+ yr old jiffy. I prime it until gas drips from the bottom of the carb. usually starts on first pull. Never had to pull it more than 4 times. Amsoil works awesome. I use the same mix for leaf blower, weed eater, and auger.

Andy

Yeah I have a real old strikemaster 3.5 horse you have to prime the heck out of these old ones but a few pulls later its rippin on Amsoil 100:1

I have a 5 year old SM it started on the 2nd pull after sitting all summer.This powerhead does not have the compresion release. It has always started good for me. The EPA has put emision restrictions on these small engines and that is part of the problem. The new engins with the compression release button. Seem to be harder to start. You see to meet EPA reg's they had to lean out the fuel mixture and make the compression higher. I would suggest to anyone that has one of the newer powerheads with the compression release to run a high actane fuel it will help start them easier.

Mark

BigWade and I were talking about this this morning. Did you check to make sure the air valve is open on the gas cap? I know it's hard to get it running if that is closed up tight.

Yup...it is open when I go for a start.

My Jiffy is from the 60's. 1- 3 pulls. I agree with priming it until gas comes out of the carburator. I buy universal oil so I can use the same gas mix in my auger, weed whip, and chain saws even though they call for different oil ratios. I figure these engines have so low hours on them it would not matter what oil I use. I think it is more important to make sure the gas is fresh. Using the same gas in all three makes it easier to keep the gas fresh.

With out reading all the posts here, i have a 2 year old Strike master and it was a hard starter for the first year. 10-15 pulls to get it started. Last year i changed the oil to Amsoil and adjusted the idle. I noticed that when the throttle was released, the idle needle did not touch the throttle and allowed it to keep slowing down and not maintaining enough rpms to warm up. I adjusted it to where when it is running warm it just about turns the auger, but runs a little faster. When i start it i put the choke all the way on and pull it twice. The second pull i get the motor to chirp a little and then i put the choke on half. The next pull it usually starts right up. 3-5 seconds i then turn the choke off and allow it to warm up and off we go. Yesterday it was -10 and it had been in the back of the truck for the past 2 weeks and it started the same. I love my strikemaster. i hope this helps anyone who is having trouble. I was frustrated my first year also. But now i would not trade it for any other model.

I have a 5 year old SM it started on the 2nd pull after sitting all summer.This powerhead does not have the compresion release. It has always started good for me. The EPA has put emision restrictions on these small engines and that is part of the problem. The new engins with the compression release button. Seem to be harder to start. You see to meet EPA reg's they had to lean out the fuel mixture and make the compression higher. I would suggest to anyone that has one of the newer powerheads with the compression release to run a high actane fuel it will help start them easier.

Mark

that explains a lot. However, I dont get the "run premium" comment. Premium is harder to light so wouldnt that make it harder for you to start the auger? Im also wondering when the gas you guys are using was bought. there is a huge difference in winter gas and summer gas especially when it comes to small engines.

Merry Christmas!

You'll like that Strikemaster Auger - pound for pound, they hold their own, are of good value and long life, provided you take a few extra steps and routinely maintain it.

Right out of the box they may be a bit stiff and hard to start - indicitive of all 2 strokes. You have to understand, most engines are not run after assembly rather packed and shipped - All 2 strokes need to "break in" - and one way to accomplish that is to maintain 1/4 - 1/2 throttle position during the first two tanks (one anyway). If right out of the box you run your auger at full throttle, it will tend to run lean - causing the piston to run hot, significantly reducing performance, and making it harder to start over time and mimizing the life of the engine.

You were right to mix the oil as indicated by the manufacturer and 87 octane is fine - although the Swedes will argue that premium gives better performance. Overall, the best thing you can do is purchase Stabill MARINE fuel stabilizer - mix per instructions - add to your gas container and get in the habit of using it. It will minimize sludge buildup while maximizing burn during the compression cycle.

Amsol is probably a fine oil. I prefer SM's smoke-less oil, nice stuff - 1 bottle/gallon - NO SMOKE - important if you're drilling in a hard-house.

Drain the gas out of the auger if planned storage exceeds a week or more - it may sound tedious, but as gas molecules breakdown, the heavier particles settle toward the bottom and are the first to enter the carberator - they don't burn. Gas also breaksdown plastic molecules.

I'm not a mechanic, rather a manufacturer's salesman. My 1986 MAGNUM III will fire from a cold start in 2 pulls fully choked, regardless of the weather and run like a well oiled machine all day everyday. Pound for pound, the only other auger I have met that's equal to mine is an Eskimo with stainless steel auger and round bail covering the blades - they're nice.

That Magnum will serve you for a lifetime if you, early on, adopt some common sense handling procedures.

Have fun, be safe and God bless!

An Area Lake

i just bought a 2 hp strikemaster lazer at the fishing show and it took 2 pulls when i went out around home the other day.i brought it up to lotw this weekend and it was in the back of my truck for 3 hours of driving once we got on the lake it took 3 pulls.

It didn't go well this weekend. I ran nearly a tank of gas through it on the ice and it still took 15 pulls to start. When I would go to full throttle, it would bog down and almost die on me.

I spoke with a Strikmaster tech today and he told me it was most likely a carb issue. He said they see at least 4-5 a day like this and they swap out carbs and all is well.

I will be taking it to a local small engine repair to have them take a look at it under warranty from Strikemaster.

Hopefully they can get it dialed in and working like it is supposed to.