• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many Pulls...

M1Tanker

Does It Take To Start Your Gas Auger?

I just sold my Jiffy 3HP STX and replaced it with a StrikeMaster Mag 2000 8.25".

I think I got a 2007 model because the manual and catalog that came with it are from 07.

I mixed up the gas at 24:1 (per manual in box...I now know the recommend mix has been changed to 40:1). Gas is 87 Octane.

Right out of the box it took 15 pulls to start.

I have started it 10 other times and it takes 10-15 pulls to start it when cold. After warming it up for the 2 minutes and opening it up for a few seconds, I can shut it off and re-start with a quick pull.

Will it start quicker cold after a break-in out on the ice or should I expect it to be a hard starter?

A friend of mine who is a respected small engine guy told me that it will start like that because of the diaphragm carburetor.

I called StrikeMaster and their customer service told me it will start like that until it is broken in.

So...how many pulls does it take to start your gas auger?

Should I expect this one to be a hard starter or will it 'break-in?' Or...is there something I can do to get it to fire up within a couple of pulls?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have something dreadfully wrong with my strikemaster, it has taken that many pulls since I bought it. I have brought it into service shops twice and had it serviced and today I ended up only getting it to start after changing the plug twice.

I have been using my buddys 4 stroke strikemaster and that thing is incredible, first or second pull every time. I had to hand drill holes all day and then had my friends bring out my old Jiffy, it fired right up after about 4 pulls.

I think I just have a bad auger, it happens but I am ready to bury this one.

I run my old Strikemaster somewhere between 80-90:1 with Amsoil Saber Pro. No smoke and runs great. I also have to say that I have never had it in the shop for a tune up, never fire it up in the summer, no stabilizer, etc. I did have to fix the recoil one time, that's about it.

I am thinking about running amsoil in the auger, it's a old school jiffy that calls for 24-1 mix. I'm thinking about running it at 32-1, anyone have any thoughts?

Strikemasters normally run 40:1, most people using Amsoil run it 100-80:1. My SM has been running great on 100:1, also ran an old 2hp Eskimo same ration.

Never ran a Jiffy, I'm sure their are some Jiffy owners out their that can chime in.

I have a 2 year old Mag2000 - she's a little cold blooded. Probably takes 4-5 pulls cold. Once she gets going, it's a strong runner though. I run Amsoil at about 80:1. When I first tried to start her up this winter, it probably took 10-15 pulls...once I got the gas up into it, it ran really good. Smoked for a bit, but smoothed out quickly and ran good.