• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your odds? coyote hunting

tanman

this is my first serious year coyote hunting i have read every article i can get my hands on practiced my calling constantly in the car and in the field... worked the wind scouted and the whole deal... is it that much harder then it seems? i have been to about ten different places this year some multiple times and have only called in one dog and never even got a shot at him? am i doing it wrong or am i not used to the change of pace

i get the fact that you cant just go out and expect to shoot a yote... i am only 17 and my dad doesnt what so ever other than the one day of deer shotgun season(opening day) so i have picked up geese ducks phesants and turkey hunting all on my own in the last few years and idk what it is but i cant pick up one this one

how often do your callings produce do you see results every three times or every five times you go out and call

I've hunted those Yotes for many years , and if you got one to come in for 8 sets , you are about average . It also can depend on the area your in . They could be educated by dummies who drive around and stick the electric caller out the window , all that does is educate the Yotes , and believe me , they don't need much of that . Just keep at it, don't give up, because it is Very satisfying to whack a Yote that comes in to your call .

this is my first serious year coyote hunting i have read every article i can get my hands on practiced my calling constantly in the car and in the field... worked the wind scouted and the whole deal... is it that much harder then it seems? i have been to about ten different places this year some multiple times and have only called in one dog and never even got a shot at him? am i doing it wrong or am i not used to the change of pace

i get the fact that you cant just go out and expect to shoot a yote... i am only 17 and my dad doesnt what so ever other than the one day of deer shotgun season(opening day) so i have picked up geese ducks phesants and turkey hunting all on my own in the last few years and idk what it is but i cant pick up one this one

how often do your callings produce do you see results every three times or every five times you go out and call

LOL

welcome to coyote hunting!!! Everyone watches movies, reads articles, and thinks how easy it looks and sounds!!! Three basic things you need to call coyotes - gun, calls and patience!!

December is a tough month to call coyotes in my opinon. October and November I was averaging a coyote every 2-3 stands. December I usually average 1 coyote every 6 stands.

On average, I'd agree with about 1 in 8 stands. This year has been good so far though. 18 stands and we've called 5 coyotes and a fox. But.... we only have two coyotes dead and educated the rest. frown

On average, how far do you guys set up from where your truck is parked? Or maybe a better question is do you guys like to get way out in the middle of nowhere as opposed to within 500 yds. or less of a road?

I have been having a tough time around Crookston so far, but I still really haven't had the chance to hunt with someone who is experienced...just learning as I go.

Another question is do you usually call blind, or drive around looking for fresh sign before making a set? I only have a limited number of spots so I pretty much play it by the wind as to which ones I can hit.

I have some great spots right off the highway,nice thing is the critters are used to traffic and the noise drowns your approach. I go further away from the truck on the back roads. Sometimes I'll hike back a half mile if it's likely worth my time.Depends on the conditions,if it's really cold out you can hear tires squeaking more than a mile even with our lousy hearing.

After you call long enough you'll kinda get an idea of higher percentage looking places but I've seen results in some pretty pathetic looking places too.Everyone is led to believe by all the videos and hype if you buy this and buy that you are going to have them coming in commiting suicide.It's a demanding sport and really has to be in your blood to be worthwhile.Don't beat your spots to death though,be on the constant look out for new ones.

Where we hunt it is real inconsistent. Hardly ever call anything in unless its an hour or so before dark or early am. I do try mid morning if its real cold and calm as they seem to move at that time if its cold. Like after nights of 20 below. I would say after a whole year of calling its about 1-6 or so. I went Thursday night in the fullmoon and made 6 sets and got one fox. It was cold -10. Got it the first call at about 7pm. Went friday night started at 10pm got 3 yotes. Got one at the first two spots and then 8 or so calls, and then about 5am got a pair to come in and picked one off.

It seems like after midnight or so we have less then steller results and then it picks up late or early whatever you wants to say about 330 or so. Why? I dont know.

Its kinda tough calling right before dark becasue you get a short window of time. We try to get 3 spots in, but its tought unless they are close together.

Don't get worried. Some nights we don't see any or anything, but some nights we have a response almost every call. I have had droughts of 15-20 sets with nothing, then it just clicks. Lots of things can ruin a set.

you also do a lot off calling in no-dak. That does help your odds. We went out there in late Feb and did about 1-4.

I do call call Nodak every weekend, there are more coyotes in Nodak but they are not any dumber!! There is also alot of hunting pressure on them too.

Hope i didn't offend you. I love those coyotes out there, I just wanted him to know that, because to me it seems different there then at home here. The two day hunt we did we saw 10 yotes, most were on the first day as it was nice, and two were on the second day that was total [PoorWordUsage].

Hope i didn't offend you. I love those coyotes out there, I just wanted him to know that, because to me it seems different there then at home here. The two day hunt we did we saw 10 yotes, most were on the first day as it was nice, and two were on the second day that was total [PoorWordUsage].

Nope no offense taking! MN coyotes are different then ND coyotes actually they are two different subspecies of coyotes (lots of research) I just want to make the point that coyotes are not dumb whatever state your in, and no joe blow can just walk out there and call for the first time and have 5 coyotes come in.

We hunted a ranch in sw part by linton. My dad was building for them and some how got talking about coyote hunting. That was our in, but we talked to a rancher next door and he was happy to let us go after them.

We did run into some educated ones, they didn't pay any attention to our calling as we snuck within 400yds before trying. Was fun to see how they reacted, but was also fun to blow the dirt off between there feet.

I totally agree that they aren't dumb anywhere, but with more coyotes to call to a good caller and setup should get better results. I hope to get out there a couple times this year, as we got an invite with a goverment trapper/hunter, he might have a few new tricks to add to my arsenal.

so when you hunt ND are you hunting state or privite land

Everywhere!!!

HunterLee

Those Goverment boys no alot of sneaky little tricks! I know a am real good friends with a couple of Wyoming goverment trappers! and a few from ND! I learn everytime I hunt with them!

There seems to be a tournament out there about every weekend now and have come across more people in the last several years hunting since the predator craze hit the fan. Not like it was 15+ years ago,I'm afraid eventually we won't be as welcome.

Yeah it seems everyone is after coyotes these days. I guess i don't blame them, but even just a few years ago no one was after them unless they just happened to come across them. At least we know they aren't after them for the money. Not mn yotes anyway. $5 doesn't offset any expenses.