• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Meal on the Ice

JimBuck

While preparing for this weekend of being on the lake during the day. A thought crossed my mind while gathering all of my various cooking/food items. What's your favorite meal you like to prepare on the ice? If you would like, please provide a list of ingredients or recipe describing preparation details.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start. wink

Bucks Breakfast (Mac & Cheese w/ Spam cubes) Serves 2

You will need:

1 box of Mac n' Cheese (I prefer Kraft Spongebob's but whatever float's your boat)

-1 tin of Spam

-2 oz. milk

-1.5 tbsp. butter

-.5 Gallons of H20

-Salt & Pepper

-Cooking pot

-Ice Skimmer or Strainer

-A spoon or two

Directions:

1. Bring H20 to boil

2. Add noodles

3. Salt to your liking

4. Allow to cook 6-8 minutes depending on how you like your noodles

5. Open spam tin and cube up your spam.

6. Strain noodles. I use my skimmer because it's one less thing to pack and carry.

7. Add 1.5 Tbsp. butter and stir.

8. Dump Cheesey powder mix in and continue stirring.

9. Begin adding milk to your desired creaminess. I think a little more milk is nice to prevent the meal from getting that mac and cheese layer of glaze before your finished.

9. Throw cubed spam into the dish and continue stirring, making sure the spam gets a little warmed up and fully coated with that mystery cheesey goodness.

10. Grab a spoon and enjoy your hard work.

I do the same as bog, call em hobo meals, start with 2 layers of tinfoil, add hash browns or tater tots, already browned burger, or chicken, the frozen vegies with the cheezy chunks in them, onions, etc. and throw in a pad of butter and seasoning.

you could use anything in these, leftovers? I usualy make a bunch at one time and freeze them then take out the night before to thaw some.

I cook over the big buddy, I use a long jaw spreader, open it up and put the 2 ends under one of the top wires in the protector and over the follwing one so it sticks straight out, then set it on top, flip once in a while, works great. just remember to bring a fork.

canned venison. You have to be careful that it doesn't freeze and break the jar but when you are ready to eat you can just dump the whole thing in a pot or pan and warm it up or i've even heated it in a metal coffee can over the Mr. Heater. maybe some saltine crackers or potato chips to go with it. Oh, and beer with tomato juice in it.

I will definitely try the fish/eggs for breakfast....that sounds good!!! Throw a little hot sauce in there...mmmmmm!

I make up a batch of good old chilli, and throw it on the coleman stove to warm it up.....gotta love chilli and crackers while sitting on the ice!

When fishing from a portable I really only make sandwiches and take some snacks along, but for the sleepers I like to make before hand some home made soups/stews/spaghetti sauce/chilly (easy to freeze n keep and easy to reheat, ahh the joys of a portable stove.)I also like to make my own snacks like honey joys I'm not sure if these are an Australian thing but I grew up on them there, they seem to be a hit for the people I have made em for here too and kids love em soooo easy to make.

Here's the recipe.

I will try and keep my Aussie terms to a minimum.

you will need.

1 stick of butter

1/3 cup of sugar ( I like to use raw or natural but any is fine)

1 big tablespoon of honey

4 cups of cornflakes

Make sure you use a big enough pot to hold ALL ingredients

Melt butter, sugar and honey in pot till frothy (keep an eye on it at all times stiring on and off) take off heat.

Add cornflakes and carefully stir them in till they are all coated with honey mix.

while still warm spoon mix into patty pans (um tring to think of what they are called here the paper cup cake things)

For a more crunchier treat you can bake in oven preheated to 300 for 10 mins or for a slightly crunchy treat leave to cool on its own which is what I usually do. Enjoy!

great snack anytime and also big hit at kids birthday parties.

LOL....fishchicka...I like your little thing at the bottom of your message...fish play games too! Very funny.

I'm definitely going to try your recipe.

I have a dessert that is always a hit....takes a little work and a dutch oven...but it's worth it!

You need:

6 or so granny smith apples

Couple sticks of real butter

1 cup of sugar

4 packages of crossants

cinamon sugar

1 can of mountain dew

Heat up your coals for your dutch oven. Melt butter, and stir in 1 cup of sugar....heat to a boil while constantly stirring. Let cool...mix occassionally.

Peel your apples..then slice them up into 1/8ths. Take croissants and wrap 1 apple slice per croissant triangle. Wrap and place in dutch oven. Wrap up all of your apples in the croissants until the croissants are gone. If you have leftover apple slices...dice them and throw them in too. Pour melted butter/sugar glaze over crossants. Leave a little glaze for later smile Then pour 1 can of mountain dew over apples...try to NOT wash off the glaze. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over crossants. Cover dutch oven with lid and place coals on top. Whenever the croissants are golden brown...they are DONE! Remove lid and pour the rest of the glaze on......MELT IN YOUR MOUTH GOOD!

You won't find this recipe in any health cook books! smile