• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ANYONE FISH OUT OF PLAYA DEL CARMEN?

KeystoneLight

No experience with that, but every time I am in Cozumel, I fish the north end lagoons for bonefish. What a blast! There are a few good local guides that are pretty reasonable. The ferry is about 20 minutes between PDC and the island. Just another idea.

Playas' not really that great unless you hire someone and go out. Gorgeous beaches of white sand but very little off shore structure. Your best bet is to take the ferry out to Cozumel. The island is surrounded by reefs of coral which is way better for fishing and snokeling. It's only a few bucks and takes about 20 minutes, it's well worth it.

Playas' not really that great unless you hire someone and go out. Gorgeous beaches of white sand but very little off shore structure. Your best bet is to take the ferry out to Cozumel. The island is surrounded by reefs of coral which is way better for fishing and snokeling. It's only a few bucks and takes about 20 minutes, it's well worth it.

To add to what Navigator said, on Cozumel There's guides who will take you out shallow water fishing. I did it and didnt catch much cause it was colder and howling wind, but almost hooked into a huge stingray. The thing was chasing our bait all over.

I don't know if I'm too late but two years ago my family chartered a boat out of Puerto Aventuras. They have a number of boats that go out... it was in March and quite windy that day... I told the captain I wanted to catch fish. He took us out farther than the other boats and we had a blast. We caught 3 red snapper, 4 yellow-fin tunas, a queen trigger fish, and a few other fish. The highlight was a 7.5 foot sailfish! Took me almost two hours to reel that one in as it had wrapped the line around the body and I was pulling it in tail first!

When we got back in to the docks, we were the only boat that caught much...

We fished out of Captain Rick's 2 weeks ago in Puerto Aventures. Had a great time. We caught 2 Barracudas and 1 trigger fish. If you go, only give the trolling about an hour and if you do not catch anything tell them you want to bottom fish, that is how we caught our fish but we only got to do that about an hour before we ran out of time. Also if the cab driver says beer is cheaper at the gas station then in town he is lying, so do not let him stop as he will add additional money to the taxi ride. We learned the hard way. Have fun!

We fished out of Puerto Adventures with Captain Rick's a couple years ago and had a great time. My wife and I caught 4 sailfish and a couple wahoos. Even had a double with two sailfish on at the same time. We even had the chance to take a couple filets off of one of the wahoos to a restaurant right off of the marina and they prepared it for us for like $5 each US. Could not have asked for a better experience.

I also used Captain Rick's last year. Nice people, but I don't know that the captain had a lot of trolling strategy other tan "drive the boat through up and down the coast" - but maybe that is what they do. We ended up with a barracuda and a king mackerel, both off of the downrigger. They only had 1 downrigger, everything else was at the top - which with the rough water didnt work so well. Trolled the entire day - I asked about bottom fishing, but it was way too rough that day for them to consider it.

It was so rough that they kept asking if we wanted to go in. Thank God I don't get seasick, and my wife took dramamine. I would have been pretty upset to lose a day of fishing I had been looking forward to for so long.

We were down there last week and fished with "Tequila Sunrise" on Jan. 20. We trolled for a couple of hours and caught several Skipjacks, a 60# Kingfish and I caught a 30" Barracuda. We then spent the rest of the day bottom fishing and managed to catch 20+ Red Snappers, Groupers and ??. The wifes met us at the marina so we had them fillet out some of the fish and we stopped at "Gringo Dave's" and he cooked them up for us. Great meal of fresh fish. We also heard alot of good things about "Captain Rick's".