• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubby darter

vexi

Last night I caught my first walleyes while using CD. I first put her down and was able to get fish to come in but wouldnt hit. I then put a minnow head on the tail hook and the next fish that came in just slammed it. Any body else have to do this to get them to hit?

"Have to"? No. Do I to rule CD out for a given time/date/place? Sure! If you can draw them in quick, bit they won't bite, they need something "extra". A minnow head is the best for the CD equation, I feel. Minnow smell, minnow taste, added to minnow action.

The only downside is that the action from jigging the CD changes unpredictably depending on the size of the minnow head, which hook and which treble you hook it on, where in the head you hook it, if you got a lot of nice tasty smelly gut strings hanging off it.... The variation is infinite. It is indeed possible to end up with a CD on the end of your line that moves so unnaturally as to turn off what would up-to-that-point have been somewhat interested fish.

I always jig-test the CD after adding any bait to the hook to make sure it isn't moving too different or obviously unnaturally.

I have yet to catch anything on the chubby I have...one night I have it quite a work out trying to committ to it for awhile, and nothing. I wish fishing one of the smaller ones (hoping to get either an eye or crappie to hit)...but I couldn't get squat. I must not have found the secret technique yet!

Congratulations for no longer being a "Chubby Virgin". wink

Tipping with a scent option is productive. I try to keep it as lean as I can. In fact to add meat scent I smooch a minnow and smear it on to add the bloody crippled scent of a wounded vulnerable pray fish. This has the least negative effect on the Chubby's action.

Well that hoarse has long left the barn...there is no such thing for me as just one Chubby. But for your benefit I'll pull a rabbit out of my...Ah...hat.

For Walleye #6 Luminescent Orange Dace (LOD 6).

For me Panfish/Crappie/Perch #3 Luminescent Blue Dace (LBD 3) .

So I am sold on the chubby,I took all the input from here but is there a chubby that will catch me something in the 14-18 range?Is it just the pigs that like the chubby?We watched on cam.WOW!keepers ran,and pigs pounded it.But I am not a pig fisher.I just want one for my belly a day.Any tips would be greatly appreciated.Or do you draw them in with the chubby and go to your go to for keepers?

I tried them for the first time on LOW last week with #3 Hot perch and it worked great tipped with an emerald shiner head on the first treble.

For some reason one of the hooks on the first treble was dull, is this normal?

BTW, caught eyes/saugers ranging from 8-22 inches.

The size #4 will do better on pan sized walleye eaters.

Keep in mind that eaters often prey on a different diet than sows. They are feeding on tiny minnows not fingerlings.

In general #3's and #4's draw more pokes from the smaller game fish and pan fish.