• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just a nice story....

Wallyeyes

So on tuesday this week, I took my five yr old boy out to the perm my in-laws have out on the lake. Didn't really know how he'd do, cosidering he'd never been before. Got up at 6AM and was on the lake, fishing by 7:30AM. I bought another Vexi last week for people I go out with that don't have one. So he used it. I gave him the first lesson on how to read a flasher. Seemed to pick it up right away. I kept testing him, asking which was his minnow and where the bottom was. He continued pointing out the corrct lines on the screen and then started to let me know when a fish(big red line) would show up.

We were catching smaller northern for a while and then "it" hapened. He was in the hole right next to me, and said "Dad, there's a fish down there." As I looked over at his flasher, I did indeed see the tell tale red marking of a fish. Darn decent size too. We watched the fish rise from the bottom to check out the bait. It just sat there, looking. I told him to just wiggle the rod enough so the bobber would rock some. He did, and just a second or two later the bobber went down. I took the rod from him and set the hook. The fish ran and I lightened the drag as it took line. I handed my son his rod back and said "Reel 'em up." After figuring he was fighting another Northern I told him to be careful and not reel to hard and let the fish take line if he wasn't comming to the hole. It was hooked good and barring a cut line we would get it. A minute passed and the fish came willingly to the hole. I looked down and was surprised to see a walleye on the other end. I landed the fish for him and asked what he thought of it. He could barely talk, his smile was so big. He was ecstatic! He wanted to eat it. He wanted to tell his uncle about it and get pictures with it. The fish measured just shy of 20". Not bad for the boys first 'eye. Now, normally I wouldn't keep a walleye over 18", to eat, but I made an exception for this one fish. As a father, watching his youngest son catch the biggest fish of his life so far, it was amazing. I was so proud. I have a new fishing partner, and couldn't ask for a better one.

He lasted four hours in the house before he was ready to leave. I'll bet you can guess where we'll be next Tuesday.

Good fishing to all.

100_1357-1.jpg