• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Real Weeds or Teasers?

Doop

Hey guys,

I have only used real weeds once with limited success....I wasn't real sure if the weed next to the tip up made a difference. I know there are guys who swear by them. Now they have a deal called a teaser. Looks like spinnerbait skirts attached to your line...at the end is your leader and hook/bait. I believe one even glows.

Just wanted to get some opinions on these. Does it matter how many weeds you put next to a line? One weed per tip up I would think would work. Anyway...just looking for some feedback.

I used Real Weeds quite a bit last year and positioned them on the perimeter of my shack. Hands-down, the best results came from jigging as close to those weeds as possible. Of course there's a trade of, snagging.

Tips: Shallower works best and pay attention if you're dead sticking.

How about making your own teasers? Looks like it is easy enough. I wouldn't mess with making my own fake weeds for obvious reasons....but I would think you could rig up your own teasers....MUCH cheaper than what you can buy them for.

You can also go to the Big Box stores and get their generic Xmas garland strings on clearance right now and use those too. I got 3 strings of 9' garland last year, and it was a LOT cheaper than getting the real weeds. I just tied them around a dog toy and floated them in the hole.

last year I put three strings of weeds down around my house and went in and sent the camera down to get a look and it couldn't have been 5-6min and there was a pike sitting in the weeds waiting to ambush what ever came along made a beliver out of me. as for the teaser I saw one of these at prince bait and thought it might work so I did try to make a smaller version and tested it out yesturday in the spear shack no pike came to it but the panfish were thick they would come right up to the skirts and some even tried to eat it. today I spun a daredevil and some crappies were nippin at it also had two pike come to it.

Doop I have a thing that spins my daredevil verticaly, wtih no hooks on it for spearing. its the flash that they come to.

as for the xmas garlen I dont use the stuff cause it might not be safe for the water there is companys that make weeds for fishin thou. I made mine from the weeds that the zoo had in the under water exibits got lucky enough to score on them when I was doing some work there. I also asked some of the techs at the zoo about using them in lake and they told me that it would be safe to use.

Now do you have to remove these everytime you leave your shack? Or can you leave them down for the whole season then remove them? thanks

I remove them every time I leave dont want take any chances of them freezing in and not get them out or hitting the line with the chisel or someone else walking off with them

because when your in thirty fow and you want to keep the fish where you are and there are no weeds you have to improvise somtimes. at times I do find the natural weeds and use them to my advantage. fake weeds are just another piece of fishing tackle that I have and sometimes they work and at other times they dont.