Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutmadness

sunflower question?

12 posts in this topic

Recently my sunflower went on the fritz. when I light it, only half of it glows red and about a 9-10 inch flame comes shooting straight up. Does anyone know the cause of this and how I should go about fixing it?

THanks, T.M.

Thats what I was thinking, I tried taking the valves apart and cleaning them, that didn't work, I guess i'll keep takin' stuff apart till it works.

Clean the orifice out. I had the same problem earlier this year. where it goes into the chrome tube with the holes in it, there is an orifice in there, you have to take the upper part off of the chrome tube and you will see it. take it out and use some carb clean and a hook or very small piece of wire. You should also see all the carbon built up on it. The hole is so small that it doesnt take much to block it.

I have a couple of the things and never any problem like that. They seem pretty simple, so the problem must be simple also. What color is the flame? Orange flame might indicate dirtiness. Blue flame might mean a leak somewhere?

Could be your thermo-couple or a pinched feed line. Do you know if it got bumped or squeezed recently?

I think Hard617 Had it right. That silver air intake or whatever that shoots off the bottom had some cobewebs/junk in it I think from storage over the summer. Cleaned her out and now it cookin!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

I have had many blow up on me and what happens is the fine mesh screen under the heavier one rusts and gets holes in it. This creates too much gas or something that makes them throw a few flames. I just purchase a new one and use the others for parts. just my two cents!!!

-Tundra

Thats why I bought a buddy heater from menards for 60 bucks. Im sick of them not working or tipping over and busting off.

I had the same problem last weekend. It was a ol rusty thing but when i would tap the main tube going up to it like a rust colored powder/rocks would come out of it. I finally just bought a new one saturday. $45 bucks for a new one at Scheels