• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top Water Baits - Does Color Make a Difference?

bonefish

I have had Muskies hit a number of differnt colors on the surface. I personally prefer any color, as long as it's Black!

I could go on and on as to why certain colors are better than others in certain situations. I will forgo all of that and simply say this. Day in and day out, in all kinds of conditions and in all kinds of water, Black will consistently out fish most other color combinations. IMHO

Nuff said!! smile

"Ace"

Happy Holidays!

I will always agree that sound and action is #1

there are other factors as to why some baits get hook ups better than others besides color,

Wieght, action, sound, hook size, hook placement, the fish's mood, is it actually biting or just blowing up ect. are all contributing factors and I am sure that there are many more.

Good tips on underwater views of the surface though, thats interesting.

Quote:
Now when there's waves things are different. On wavy days each wave makes a shadow and the entire undersea landscape has varying light conditions. It's like a mellow strobe light of bright

hey shawn. i agree with pretty much everything you said. and i'll add a little, i'm sure you know but others may have not considered it.

in calm waters with a bait moving through the water those wave/light effects shawn mentioned, i've always just called them ''varying shadows'', can also give a fish a clue theres something amiss. though a muskie can't see downward it can see those effects on objects like weeds, rocks, sand humps above eye level, etc. and home in on a better visual clue. with a crankbait, shadows can alert them as well the same way without the waves/wake. which is one reason i like to fish a crank or topwater (really anything) on the sunny side of sand/rock bars, islands above and submerged, and deep weeds. anything that drops into deep water quickly AND provides a predator a place to stage. a shadow is created on the face and will give the bait another avenue to get noticed by a fish that otherwise may have not noticed a potential easy meal.

let's ay i'm fishing in 25 feet on a sand point. using the angle of the sun i can dictate how far down that shadow is seen on the points face. by casting closer or farther from the edge depending on what angle the sun is at and how deep my bait runs.

IMO (for the most part) colors catch customers wink I do agree that for topwaters a darker color is better as you are going for the silhouette. I think how much noise the lure makes or how mach water it throws while you work it has more to do with potential strikes than color. But I suck at fishing, I just know how to make and sell lures. lol

James