• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

coleman lantern problem.....

CALVINIST

My coleman lantern that runs on 1lb propane has a problem. Seems that when I try to light it when the lantern is cold that the gas does not flow properly and the only way to light it up is to warm it up first. Has anybody encountered this problem? Can this be fixed or should I buy a new one?

I don't think buying a new lantern is going to solve the issue. I am pretty certain there is a lack of pressure in the propane tank due to the cold outdoor temp. Also compounding the problem is that when the propane is vaporized during use, it further chills the cylinder, thus reducing the pressure even further. (The same complaints and experiences are shared by folks using heaters fueled by 1 lb propane cylinders on very cold days...)

In my experience, the problem is somewhat reduced by keeping the 1 lb propane cylinders inside your home where the air is warm (say 65+ degrees), not in the garage. Take them to the warm car/truck when leaving to fish (I've kept mine right on the passenger floor directly under the hot vent.) Keep them in a warm place until it is time to light the lantern/heater.

I've strapped Grabber hand warmers to the tank in an effort to keep it warm, but this did not have an appreciable effect.

The only thing that really "solves" the problem is increasing the volume of the tank. Since I've moved to 5 and 20 pound tanks, the problem has not reoccurred. I still, however, keep my 5 pound tank in the house in between fishing trips....

Yeah like slipery said for the dual fuel...probably some seal problem with your pressure but you should be able to tell that by the feel when pumping it. Otherwise wherever the fuel comes out of may be plugged inside the mantle tube I suppose. That surprises me to hear of these issues from coleman lanterns.....to make a long and funny story short. My buddy kicked my coleman down the hole once at prime crappie time...proceeded to laugh and say "watch it go down on the vexilar" after a couple minutes with a flyer jig I pulled the lantern up, shook the water out of it...new mantles and she was a blazin.