Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunrevir

Swedish potatoe sausage

8 posts in this topic

Anyone have a good recipe for swedish potatoe sausage? I am looking to make up a batch with venison trimmings. Thanks!

Tunrevir~

Here are two. They are similar, so you could pick and choose spices to taste.... I like the addition of some beef with the pork as in the first one, so maybe the venison would work well here. The use of powdered milk is for moisture. The reference to a mixer is a meat mixer, the vats that have cranks and forks that mix meat.....I don't use a mixer, but mix it with my hands.

Swedish Potato Sausage

1 Onion, medium size, cut up

1 tb Salt

1 1/2 ts Ground black pepper

1 ts Allspice

6 Potatoes, pared & cut up (6 -cups)

12 tb Non-fat dry milk

2 cups Water

1 1/2 lb Lean boneless beef

1 lb Lean boneless pork

Grind all the meat, potatoes, and onions thru a 3/8” grinder plate and place in a mixer. Add all the other ingredients with the water and mix well. After this procedure, regrind thru the 3/8” grinder plate again.

Stuff into hog casings 38-40 MM.This sausage is a very perishable product. It is best kept when frozen.This sausage may be served fried, baked, or broiled. Keep in refrigerator in container and covered with water.

Scandinavian Potato Sausage

5 Lb ground pork shoulder

5 Lb ground raw potatoes

4 Tbsp salt

1 Tbsp garlic salt

5 Lb ground round

3 Lg onions ground or fine chop

2 Tbsp black pepper

Combine ingreds. and mix well. Stuff in casings. Makes about 17 lb. Freeze in 1 or 2 lb. pkgs.When ready to cook, place sausage in skillet in water to cover. Cook slowly until water is all cooked down and sausage

browns in its own juice.

Thanks thirdeye, I am looking to make up a batch with my venison trimmings, those recipes are exactly what I was looking for. I use the fancy 300.00 mixer I bought my wife for x-mas a few years ago to mix the meat and the spices but still mix large batches by hand. Thanks again!

Tunrevir~

1 lb beef

1/2 lb pork

1/2 lb pork fat

5 large potatoes

1 Lg. onion

1/2 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 clove garlic

1/4 tsp mace

Grind all meats with spices coarse,cover & refridgerate.

boil taters till almost done

run taters,garlic & onion through a finer grind. Mix with meat stuff. then boil in chicken broth till cooked.Eat or freeze.

Good sounding recipe there Sparcebag. I just picked up the taters tonight and am thnking with the cold temps it might be time to fire up the grinder and make some up. Anyone ever smoke these at all? I have seen where guys made this that I know and the taters started to turn greyish. Is the key to mostly cook the taters, cool them and get them stuffed right away? Thanks!

Tunrevir~

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• That little doe is a sweetheart. Reminds me why I gave up hunting. But I did it for more than six decades from MN to MT to AK and Canada. Before somebody jumps in with a snide  comment, I don't care if YOU do it but it is just not for me any more. Carry on. Nice pix....couple nice looking bucks.
    • I fish for monster bass too. But yeah, when one is the master of walleyes one tends to be an elitist... 
    • I agree; stay away from the extended warranty.  If my dealership (Village Chevrolet) won't honor the original warranty, what makes you think they will honor an extended warranty?  This problem was discovered well before my warranty ran out and they still treated me like an ugly sister...
    • Knock yourself out. IMO, pro basketball is a terrible sport.         -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------           Here's what they think of the Gophers in Iowa.....    
    • Wait till they lose the game.....  
    • You two must be elitist walleye guys. 
    • I can't say I'm much in agreement with Gary Johnson on this issue and I can admit it. I will say however that it makes more sense than the deal Pence struck with Carrier.   1. The carrier deal handed away state money while still being a net LOSS of jobs in that state. Johnson's program enticed new business into his state and resulted in a net GAIN of jobs and probably tourism dollars as well.  2. I think these types of deals should be handled as locally as possible. It's called representative government. Maybe it makes sense in the New Mexico deal that it be handled at the state level since it probably effects the state as a whole at least to some degree but I don't know. The Indiana deal should have been handled locally, especially if any of the tax cuts promised were property taxes. Those benefit communities at a more local level and the jobs saved benefit communities at a more local level. The state government possibly should not be handling these things but the Federal Government most assuredly should not be involved in these deals.  3. I'm pretty sure that the threat of interference with federal contracts had much more to do with the Carrier deal anyway so why did they give Carrier any tax breaks? I thought Trump was a tough guy and a strong armer? In the New Mexico deal, tax cuts are about the only leverage someone would have to bring that extra revenue and jobs into the state.   I'll say it again, I'm really not in favor of the government picking winners and losers. I do think the Pence deal is something that happens every day but the only difference is it happens at a local level and you don't have a blow hard President-elect taking credit for it normally. Time will tell whether it was a good deal or if the rest of the manufacturing community will hold the Government for ransom now like every professional sports franchise does these days.    Gary Johnson is in favor of replacing the current Tax code with a 'Fair Tax" system.
    • I think Purple means, our BullHeads!
    • I replaced my transducer on my  fl 18 with a proview  last winter very pleased with it. I thought my vexilar was going bad it was not picking up my hook anymore.  Replaced my transducer with a new proview worked great last spring crappie fishing. Replacing the transducer on my fl 12 with a proview this week.
  • Our Sponsors