• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disturbed hillside - want fast grass in spring

BoxMN

I just had some new stairs put in on a fairly steep hillside. The soil got disturbed around the posts and where the old stairs were ripped out. What is my best bet for getting grass going in spring - just seeding the heck out of it and putting burlap over it, or using that green seed+fabic?

There is not any real flow area going down it, but I am sure in a heavy downpour it would wash down. It is real sandy soil.

Also, what is good vegetation to put on sandy hillside to help hold it there? I checked all over on DNR site and could not find anything really relating to good hill coverage.

Thanks for any thoughts, as I saw some of the green fabric on sale at Menards, and was thinking about picking it up, but I can much more quality seed and burlap for less $. Thanks!

The best grasses to hold your slope depend on the type of soil and amount of sun. You should stop at your local Soil & Water Conservation District for info.

Given Battle Lakes sandiness I would say Side Oat's Grama and Little Bluestem, they both get roots in excess of ten feet deep compared to one foot for Kentucky (Europee-on) Blue Grass. If you seed heavily it will fill in almost as fast with Side Oats as with non-native species like KBG. Those deep roots will exclude weeds nearly completely once established, unlike shallow rooted species where the weeds have free reign below that first foot.

Cost $8-12 a pound, 12 pounds an acre is a heavy rate, that's about a pound per 3500 square feet. You can go up to double that rate if desired, just lightly scratch it onto the surface.

Heres a trick box.Get your grass seed out now oops kinda late SNOW,So first thing this spring plant oat seed yes like oatmeal. plant it it will come up fast and stablize the bare dirt,so a heavy rain wont wash the grass seed away as the temp warms get the grass seed in, the oats will protect it.The oats will die and youll have grass.

Yop can thank juneau4 for this advice,It was given to me and worked so I'm just passin it on.

Thanks very much guys! Can I just seed them both at the same time? I will be up there often, so can get it on right after snow leaves. kobear, I will look for those species. It is only about a 6'x30' strip, so won't take me but a few minutes to get it on there smile