• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funniest Ice Story

Beege

My brother and i were fishing with a bunch of friends out on a local lake. The snow was all gone and there was about 5-6 inches of water on the ice. We step out of the shack and see one of our friends running across the ice trying to catch the minnow that he had dropped. He chased it for about 2 or 3 minutes before he realized that he could just get another out of the bucket. The whole while we were laughing hysterically at him. He still does not see the humor in it to this day.

I fishing buddy told me about the time his dad was ice fishing with a group. They all had their shacks close together over the same structure. One of the guys had waaay more than he should have imbibed and was outside throwing snowballs at the other houses. There was flooding over the ice and he fell down and soaked his clothes. They got him inside, undressed him and hung up his clothes around the stove to dry. Soon he was outside again,throwing snowballs, completely naked. While he was out there, some of his clothes fell on the stove and started the fish house on fire. They hauled him home wrapped in a blanket and dropped him off and left him to explain to his wife why he had no clothes and no longer had a fish house.

Last thurs I was icing cats with some buddies, I had commented earlier in the day how I had not really lost anything valuable down a hole. Of course...... I walk away from one of my rods, a little pannie rod with 3lb line, ploop, we both hear it go down the hole!

Well, 40 ft of water, I figure its gone. Buddy has a aquaview, so I ask if Its worth a try to see if we can see the rod. Its cold as [PoorWordUsage], so we lower the camera down, mess around for 10-15mins, go into the portable and warm up wooden fingers. we go back and fish a while, go back to the camera. There are 4 of us and we all kinda figure its lost, as we see the rod but I cant snag it. we see cats roaming around though. I finally hook the very tip of the spring bobber. I figure its gonna break off, so I gingerly start to bring it up with the other rod. I feel a good pull, and realize the cat that took the rod is still on! with the 3lb line ready to break with a good pull, and the spring bobber barely on I pull it Slowly up. Another buddy finally got his camera running just as we pull up the rod...... and then the cat! It was pretty awesome.

He put the video on youtube

My fingers got nipped pretty good that day and they still were painfull until yesterday

A few seasons ago I was up fishing on Mille Lacs and it was getting towards the end of the night. When we got to the house earlier in the day my uncle asked me to set a few tips up. I did and checked them pretty frequently but to no avail. On the last check of the night i looked at the three in front of his house...no flags...it was late and very cold and windy so i really didnt want to look at the last one but i decided i better do it anyway. The flag was up so i pounded on my uncles house as i ran by. This was my first tip up so i had no clue what to do. The top was still spinning so i pulled the tip up out of the hole and gave the fish some slack then i set the hook on him and he took off. As i said before it was bitterly cold and windy and all i had for a light was a police sized flashlight so i couldnt hold it and fish at the same time...eventully my dad and my uncle got out of the fish house and came over to see what was up. by this time i had gotten the fish up to the hole and the fish was so big it got stuck in the hole with its head half way out. the hooked popped out of its mouth and it just sat in the hole unable to turn around. I must of stood there for a good 20 seconds wondering what kind of fish it was before my uncle told me to pull that son of a _______ out of the hole. i grabbed it by the gills and pulled it out and to my suprise it was a 28" walleye...

One day I was messing with some fishing gear in my living room getting ready for a trip to Upper Red. I was changing jiggs on my stick and decided to see how it would work. I casted it across the hard wood floor and began reeling it in. When the jig got hooked on a piece of carpet I acted like I had a big fish and set the hook, hard. Anyway the jig shoot out and hit me right above the eyeball. Felt pretty stupid sitting in the emergency room for and hour with and 1/8 ounce buckshoot stuck to my face. Left a good bruise too. Totaly sober.

I went fishing with a buddy 2 years ago. My boss had loaned out his perm to me, so we decided to go for the weekend. In preperation we brought a deep cycle and a small generator.

Well, we get out to the lake and get all set up and start fishing. After a few hours, and not much luck with the fishing, we're pretty "full" from all the drinkin'. We decide to get the generator running so we can listen to the radio and conserve on the batteries. My buddy goes out and after a few minutes, he comes back in the house with just the recoil rope in his hand. "Well", I said, "Bring it in here and lets see what I can do". I couldn't fix the recoil, so I decided to wrap the rope around the flywheel and start it that way. After four or five tries it started. ---here's where it gets funny---

My buddy jumps up, all excited, and decides we can't let it run any longer inside the house(2-stroke). He grabs the generator with both hands. One hand on the case and one right on the FLYWHEEL!! He killed the engine dead on the spot. We got it running again, but I laughed the rest of the weekend!

Was out fishing pannies back about 6-7 years ago on a small lake my Dad has a place on. Just so the dog can get some exercise, I was letting him run all over while I fished. Nice day, no house needed. No one else on the lake but me and the dog. So, after a while my big 100lb 3 year old lab wanders over to see what I am doing. Well, he's got the same habit I'm sure a lot of labs have; he licks everything he gets close to. One lick and he's done. It's his greeting method AND his method of investigating new things. So, before I know it he's between me and my bucket with the extra poles hanging out. And of course, the pole closest to him is my flimsiest rod with 1 lb mono and a teardrop jig, just hanging there with a couple of larvae twisting in the breeze. I can see what's going to happen but I’m too slow to stop it. Yep, he gets a whiff of the larvae and reaches out to do the single investigational lick. Hook sticks right in the center of his tongue. He doesn't even really notice it, just turns his head and snaps the line, and at the same time swallows the jig. At this point he’s looking at me with the “what’s all the yelling about?” look. “Great.” I think. My wife is never going to believe this. frown This happened to be a Sunday afternoon, so I pack up and head home. I call the vet first thing Monday morning to ask what to do. After the vet regains some self control and stops laughing mad, he says, “Well, I suppose we should do an x-ray to see where it is. If it lodges anyplace, we’ll have to do surgery to go get it.” I’m thinking, “Great, this won’t be cheap.” eek But he says the dog may pass it too since he’s a big dog and it was such a tiny hook, so I am supposed to check “things” out every time he leaves a deposit, just to be sure. frown So, we make an appointment to do the x-ray on the first opening he has, Tuesday afternoon. The rest of the day Monday and Tuesday morning I am outside with the garden shovel slicing and dicing every new yard bomb looking for my fishing lure. I’m sure the neighbors thought I had lost it. blush Anyway, I have no luck finding the offending lure. I go to work Tues AM. The appointed time arrives, I head home, grab the dog, put him in the truck in prep to head out for his xray, then I realize there was one more new yard bomb in the kennel that I have not done the Cuisinart thing with. I decide that I better check it out, just in case. I grab the shovel and do my thing, and Lo and behold, THERE IT IS! grin Saved myself a few hundred bucks in x-rays, not to mention what the surgery could have been, AND I got my jig back! That dog has NEVER gone fishing with me again, he’s 10 now.………. (and yes, I threw the jig away.)

Back when I was in school I spent most of my Christmas vacation fishing with my cousin. We were each fishing with a pannie line catching perch and each had down a tip up line. While tending to my tip up my "old school" wooden handled jiggle stick disappeared down the hole.

The next day we came back and fished the same area. I drilled the first hole and when I pulled the auger up I noticed something red in the slush. To my suprise it was my jiggle stick! Apparently it had floated up against the ice and when I drilled the hole it shot up. Even better, a few days after this my cousin pulls up a perch, the fish had a jig in its mouth along with a whole bunch of fishing line. Yep, it was my jig!

Saw some guy on Coon a couple of years ago, there was no snow cover on the ice yet, he fired up his auger,started drilling a hole, looked over and saw his auger going full speed,tossing him around the hole,he was airborne,almost horizontal, fell to the ground as the auger proceeded to drill the hole,auger went down,stopped at the handles.He obviously didnt have cleats on, laughed so dang hard. It broke loose from him later too,this time he backed off of the throttle. Another time,my cousin and I were out new years eve,6am,raining out the ice was just black. You couldnt see where any of the holes were,my cousin walks over after checking depths,one leg completly soaked,stepped in a ten inch hole,wet to the knee

Myself,and two others we're out in their shack last year for an overnighter.. Well,friday went well with the fish co-operating,lot's of laughs,some E.J. Brandy -n- cold ones..Saturday we got up at 9:00 a.m. Made breakfast,told each other how stupid they were the night before, and how ugly we looked right now after waking up.. We started to set out a few tip up's.. Friday they weregoing off non stop.. Big fat Bass and northerns.. We took pictures and let most all go.. Anyway's, after getting the tip ups set out, about 10:30 till about 2:00 in the afternoon it was fast and furious!! Same thing,Bass -n- Pike.. I had out two tip ups right in the center of my buddy's.. NO FLAG on either one for 3 hrs.. What I had done was set my line with-out looking at depth finder or using a clip on depth finder.. ALL DAY I had my minnows sitting in the mud playing poker and smokin' cigars with the other fish.. I corrected my hangover mistake, and what a differance!! NOW THIS.. Finally both my tip ups go off at the same time.. I take the fishhouse door off the hindges, almost.. I start rto my tip ups and step into a open hole and fly head over heals.. I had my bibs vest and everything else on so I looked like a Big Bear!! I get up, not hurt luckily.. look back, and my buddy's were laughing at me till they had tears.. They seen the whole darnED deal through the window.. GOT A 6lb. NORTHERN and a 3lb. BASS on the other tip up by the way.. We had so much fun that trip.. At my expense.. Have fun guys ..Marshmallow

First time that my now ex girlfriend visited me from Florida was the first that she ever saw snow in her life not to mention a frozen lake. We drive past this popular lake and she comments; "You never told me there were slums in your hometown." "Slums? what do you mean slums?" Then she replied: "Look at all that low income housing over there. Those poor poor people in those little tiny shacks...it's just a shame."

I'm dying inside but holding it in. I told her that I had to see if a buddy of mine was around so I could give him something. We drive out on the ice and she is still naive to the fact that it was a lake. Hears the ice cracking and I say; "Yeah, they don't do alot with the roads here either. In the winter they make weird crackling noises." We get to my buddy's shack, walk in and she sees the sattelite dish, dvd player, TV, fully stocked bar, and guys playing very high stakes poker. She looks at a hole and sees water and asks why it was there. My buddy looks up and says; "We're over about 45 feet of water. Should have been here earlier, the crappies were really going." Then she freaks out realizing that I dragged her out on a frozen lake and proceeds to finally tell me how deathly afraid she is of drowning and won't calm down at all. There could have been 5 feet of ice and she would have been hysterical.

Even the day we split up for other reasons she brought that back up as a terrible terrible thing I did. "How could you put my life in danger like that." Glad I got out of that one when I did.

last year, on a metro, non-designated trout lake in eagan, i was in my portable with the windows blacked out so i could see down the hole. the lake is crystal clear, so you can sight fish easily. the trout swim right under the ice and circle the lake like torpedoes. anyway, im crouched over the hole focused on my minnow when i see lots of bubbles come up the hole. didnt think a whole lot about it. just then, with my face about a foot above the hole a BIG muskrat pops its head and front legs up the hole! i almost soiled myself!! he hissed at me and i smacked it in the head with my rod tip! down he went. what a surprise!