• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

puppies

Im sure your all wondering why im posting this here, but I think you women can help me out wiht this alot more then the guys here.

My wife and I have a new family member! Annie!

pugglepuppy4.jpg

We just went and picked up a new [PoorWordUsage]zu puppie tonight. She weights in at a total 1.5 lbs.

The question that i ask to you is, do you people that have had these dogs, make them sleep in a cage overnight?

Also, whats you trick to potty outside!

Thank again

Bass N Spear,

The Bichon we got in February was 1 1/2, and potty trained.

I did have him sleep in his crate at first, and he was in his crate while we were not home. I have been told that the crate needs to be a place where the dog feels safe. A place they can go if they need to. So don't make the crate a punishment. Make it a positive thing.

My sister has a Peek-a-[PoorWordUsage] and she sleeps in a crate. Mostly because she has an over-excited bladder.

My Bichon no longer uses his crate unless we go out of town and he's in an unfamiliar place. He has run of most of the house too.

Have fun.

remember dogs are a pack animal and there for want to be with the pack ( family) I've never believed in crateing a dog, but that is my opinion. A well trained dog shouldn't need a crate.

Potty training - use news papers in a specific area, once she starts going on the papers, gradually make the paper area smaller and smaller ( over a 2 wk period or so ) and also everytime you see her going take her out side. And as she is going outside use the word that you will be using for that issue, like " go potty" "do your business" etc. when she is done outside reenforce that good behavior with praise. That will train her that those words mean that activity.

She is very cute - what is her name ?

thanks for the help.

We have had dogs in the family for many years. And we have caged them all over night, it sucks for the first week or so, but after that they understand it and are ok with it. Its just that first times when there all alone!

Her name is Annie!

I agree with Tami on both. We have a 6 yr old [PoorWordUsage]zu/pom cross and house breaking was actually not bad with her, it took some effort, but now we are so well trained, that just by watching her actions and "signals", we know when she needs to go. I also don't beleive in the crate idea either. As long as it's a well behaved dog, I see no need to lock her up. Just my opinion tho.

We crate our Toy Fox Terrier for bed time and when we are not at home. She has a large crate with lots of bedding in it. Once it hits about 10pm or later she will give us her signal that she is ready to go outside potty before bed, as soon as she comes back in the house she goes straight to her kennel.

We have always crate trained our dogs with great success. We do not allow pets on our furniture so she needs her own place. Many times when we are watching a movie or something she will go lay in her bed, I suspect partially because she doesn't like the sub-woofer on our surround sound system and the fact we mostly ignore her if we are watching a movie.

hey bns, we had 2 new pups this spring. we put them in kennels at nite, they did have accidents for a while but they dont like to do that where they sleep. after a while they could go all nite without accidents. they no longer use kennels and very rarely have accidents.one thing to keep in mind that i heard is a dog can hold its movements about an hour for each month it is old. also check out the dogs forum, you can lear at ton there.

try putting the kennel in our room or real close. if they can hear you or smell you that should help. they may cry a bit not as much, they want to know there masters are close.

this has really worked good for our last 3 pups we had.

good luck with new family member and should see ya sat am.

yes, it will cut down on the puppy crying. if she does during the night carry the puppy out it will more than likely need to do its duty. as time goes on and the pup gets more use to its surroundings you can move it further away. some puppies also like there kennel as a safe place to go to. our first sheltie did , now the new one doesnt.

We have a new 10-week-old Water Spaniel for just over a week now. We're crating her. The litter owner had started to work with her on crating. The first night, I didn't even make it down the hall to bed before she stopped whining...I couldn't believe it! The longest she has been vocal is about 20 minutes. One thing the owner recommended was feeding her in the crate (door open). I have to admit; I've only done that a couple times. Once she's in, don't go back to her. I take our AWS out once in the middle of the night while she is this young. She has never had an accident in her crate, and only three in the house (on plastic); none recently.

We can't have an unattended pup wandering the house at night. At this age, they can't stop chewing any more than they can stop wagging their tail. I don't want her to eat something and get sick or worse, and we're rather attached to our couch and other furniture.

The litter owner...what a funny old lady; because of her, when we feed our pup we have to call out, "Soup's on!" She licks her chops.

thats a good reason, but also think of why puppies chew.

They are teething and or bored. Chew toys and interactivity to stimulate them will sometimes work - sometimes not. Sometimes they just chew - crazy

As with kids look at the reasons things are done, and try more natural remedies i.e. chew toys, walks, stimulation for their intelligence, interactivity with the pack ( family ) discipline and training are also very important and to show who is Alpha. Dogs need to know their place in the pack. This is done with discipline but not cruelty. Once when I was playing ruff with my dog ( Collie/Huskie mix, now gone to chew toy heaven ) he got a bit too ruff, I bit him on the ear, not too hard but hard enough ( how other pack members would have done ) he mellowed immediatley. And our dominance order was reinforced.

Sounds like you and your wife will be great dog parents, you are already showing love and respect for her.

Be strong! I think it's best for them to sleep in the crate. Makes travel much easier, and it is much nicer if someone needs to keep an eye on your dog for you.

It is tough to listen to them cry, but give it a couple weeks and all will be good. Don't be afraid to put ear plugs in, it's how I got through the first few weeks. Our boy now has no probs whatsoever in the crate.

As was mentioned, never, ever use the crate as punishment. Make it a nice place to be.