• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"friend" of mine is poaching

PmDavis300

so my neighbor, who is a friend of mine, has been illegally baiting deer, and got one the other day. he is hunting in the metro on his friends land who is in trouble with the dnr for trespessing or something, i dont know the whole story... something else probably happened. anyways, he apparently isnt supposed to be hunting where he was, so he got this deer with his bow, then when he registered it, he lied and said he got it in a different zone where he was allowed to hunt, and as i said before, was baiting.

so heres my dillema, i would love to just call tip and tell them his buddy is allowing this and he is poaching, but he is my friend... sort of, and neighbor. but im afraid he will retaliate, and im probably the only one who knows what he is doing. there is probably a way i could make it seem like one of his friends neighbors called it in, so maybe i should do that? i dont know... i know i can remain anonomyous if i call tip, but he would still figure it out if i told them everything exactly as it is. will they work with me or what?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you going to? Your going to turn him in and not think anyting else about it. Thats what I would do. I was reading in Minnesota outdoors. That before the firearms season started some of the CO's in the state had already found out about baiting in areas and were just waiting to catch the people in there stands hunting over it. The ones who got caught lost license and thre gun and even the deer they had killed.

If he got his deer isn't it something that's done? What can a CO do, assuming that they would even follow up on it?

I'm all for law and order but I don't think the tip call is really going to result in anything. Perhaps the most effective route would be to talk to the guy about it and let him know that you don't think much of his actions. He may end up just being a neighbor and not a friend, but that's the way it goes.

I think you call TIP and even though they might not be able to do anything now, they can be ready next time and catch him in the act. Pretty tough to pin it on you then.

I agree with dtro. I don't know what they can do now, but maybe keep an eye on him in the future. Guys like that you don't need to call a friend either. And if he does retaliate, call the cops.

That's easy to say, though. But when you're dead because of some lunatic poacher, its not so good advice. I would definitely take action, but I wouldn't just call in. I would think hard about how to approach. Maybe the DNR could buzz him on the property when they do flyovers checking for baiters and counting deer populations, etc. I don't know how often or when they do it but you always hear about them catching baiters by plane. Maybe they could provide him the pictures and then that would take away any thought you turned him in. Again, I think action should be taken, but also think about your personal safety. You may be about doing the right thing, and honest, etc., but given this guys'actions, who knows how he will retaliate. You just need to be careful.

Lots of big talk about "turning him in" here........

Wonder how many of them are on the phone with the State Patrol when their buddy leaves the house after having 4 beers? LOL

If it bothers YOU that much, turn him in. The decision is yours. If the guy is a true friend, I might talk to him an explain my displeasure with his antics. Maybe he'll listen....maybe he won't.

Is a metro deer worth having ticked off neighboors(friends?), that may or may not want to "get even" with you? If he does get pinched, are you going to be able to keep being friends, or atleast neighboorly with him?

If it bothers you that much, turn them in. Your the guy that's gotta look at himself in the mirror everyday.

It's your decision, and you've gotta live with it one way or the other.

Good luck.

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. I called the local CO. They were VERY good about hiding my identity. They even concocted some phony story about how they learned about the violation. The law breaker eventually confessed and was heavily fined.

I would never hesitate to do it again, but you gotta do what you feel is right.

Actually, if he is going to "still" hunt an area this weekend it would not be out of the question for many neighbors to call the POLICE; a man with a bow still hunting in a residential area would be a reason for many people in the metro area to call the POLICE.

If you know when he is out hunting - I would call. You do not have to give your name - just make the report.

If you call the local CO you could tell her that you have a neighbor who has been hunting the area. You think he might be out hunting this weekend. If she is around she could take a look.

In this case, I do not think I would talk to the neighbor. On the off chance he does get caught, and it was not from you turning him in, you would still get the blame.