• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold Temps and DEER

Kyle

So tonight it is supposed to be -1 without the windchill. I'll be stomping around following fresh tracks tomorrow. My question is, do deer move when its super cold, or do they hunker down? Will they sleep tonight, and move tomorrow morning? Or will they move tonight and then bed down when the temps creep back up in the morning?

If you listen to what "they" say, when the temps are super cold the deer don't move much but they sometimes move mid-day to conserve energy.

My personal experence is Minnesota deer still don't move until after dark even in very cold temps, maybe if it got below -20 they would move midday but most of the time our hunting season is over by then.

On the day that the temps plummet I think it your best chance to see a deer during daylight. A big drop in temperature must trigger their feeding urge, and they tend to come out earlier to feed. Be near a food source on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Yesterday It was 10 degrees at 2:30 PM, It got colder as the day dwindled. It was 5 below at 5:00 when I got back to the truck. The deer started moving pretty good around 4:00. I saw 6 total including a nice doe that is now in my garage.

I saw it laying in there on Saturday afternoon. I think I could have made the shot from the open doorway...

I shot a fawn sniffing her gut pile out of the same stand about 4:45 Saturday night. Paceman saw some more deer, but he was being harrassed by a supposed woodcutter & they turned around before they got to him.

Was on the way home from college yesterday for break and saw 6 deer out in a corn field eating at 11:30 in the afternoon. Then i stopped at the girlfriends house and she has a big revien behind her house and i seen a few does walk by around 3 and then a little buck at 3:30 so they were moving around all day yesterday from what i noticed. good luck to all of you that still have a tag.

From the past that I have seen in MN once the temp gets real cold they move before dark.If it's stays too warm or warmer we do not see anything till after dark in the fields on our property. Probably different on others land.

Since it's supposed to be a balmy 5 out on Friday and Saturday I'm going to try to arrow one. So we'll see, I can't sit that long in this cold with a bow so I don't tihnk I'll be sitting before 3 pm. Hopefully they wait to move until after that!