• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be honest which are you?

fishmon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I think you polling choices are a little biased. The first guy is the person everyone wants to be, and #2 is the guy everyone hates. Your descriptions could have been a little more even as far as negativity. No one's gonna want to be a #2 the way you described it.

Agreed.

I would think that most of us have basic traits of #1, but who here gets super excited when the houses start popping up all over their hot bite? Or doesn't get a little grumpy when the guy that set up 25 feet away walks over to look inside your bucket? Or who thinks, "What an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly!" as we are loaning a bit of gas to the guy that forgot the can? Who here goes out without the intention of catching something? A lot of us can have a great time, but get skunked and leave the lake a little disappointed; wondering if we should have went deeper, or tried a spoon with a minnow head, or went to a different lake, or whatever.

The choice here isn't who you want to be or who you hate. The choice is whether you are Ned Flanders or are you a major tool if not a total jack-rabbit. Most people are gonna be in the middle.

I'm more of a #2, i only use a vexilar and am ok getting skunked (I've got plenty of practice doing that;)but I can be secretive once I stumble on a good bite. I'm ok telling my close friends about it, otherwise I'll only tell you very vague details.

BTW, I think you polling choices are a little biased. The first guy is the person everyone wants to be, and #2 is the guy everyone hates. Your descriptions could have been a little more even as far as negativity. No one's gonna want to be a #2 the way you described it.

I also agree with this. I'm guessing that you are a number 1 considering how ridiculously negative you make the #2 fisherman sound.

#1) Like you said someone who can have fun without catching fish and is out to be with friends/family and just to have a good time. Real laid back,relaxed fishing and will leave a perm on the same lake most of the winter. Fishes in the large communities of perms in the same spot year after year beacuase because they do no have the know how or the desire to put in the work needed to go find a new area. Only uses a flasher because that's all you need when you continually fish the same area.

#2) Someone who will continue traveling from lake to lake throughout the season fishing exclusively in a portable. Very mobile and will continue moving and working until they find the fish. Always off by themselves or in their little group and not in the large community spots which is why these people are very unhappy when others move in on them. Always happy to be out on the ice, but can get a little upset or crabby when not catching fish.

I think the main difference is number 2's put a much bigger emphasis on catching fish!!

This is from the biased view of a number 2 fisherman rather than a number 1. Just my humble opinion. And I am also under the age of 30 (19).

Most defuinately a #1. Last time i checked most lakes are public property. Fishing is also about helping out others in my opinion. If someone asks you a question why lie to them. after all we ask questions on here all the time why should it be any different out on the lake. Help out the fellow fishermen. By the way i am only 27. I usually fish on about 4-5 lakes a year and only do really well on 1 of them. But i did live 50 feet from it for the first 25 years of my life.

Originally Posted By: mozy

I also agree with this. I'm guessing that you are a number 1 considering how ridiculously negative you make the #2 fisherman sound.

#1) Like you said someone who can have fun without catching fish and is out to be with friends/family and just to have a good time. Real laid back,relaxed fishing and will leave a perm on the same lake most of the winter. Fishes in the large communities of perms in the same spot year after year beacuase because they do no have the know how or the desire to put in the work needed to go find a new area. Only uses a flasher because that's all you need when you continually fish the same area.

#2) Someone who will continue traveling from lake to lake throughout the season fishing exclusively in a portable. Very mobile and will continue moving and working until they find the fish. Always off by themselves or in their little group and not in the large community spots which is why these people are very unhappy when others move in on them. Always happy to be out on the ice, but can get a little upset or crabby when not catching fish.

I think the main difference is number 2's put a much bigger emphasis on catching fish!!

This is from the biased view of a number 2 fisherman rather than a number 1. Just my humble opinion. And I am also under the age of 30 (19).

You said it Fred Bear. I am definately a #2 by this description. Although I usually don't mind it much if people come around, as long as they don't make a racket. And I'd be more than willing to tell them what I'm using and how I'm using it. I am 27.

I know plenty of old timers who aren't too happy to have other people come around when they're into a bite. They clam up real quick if you ask them anything. And I also know young folks who do the same. I don't think age has anything to do with it. To me it's all about personality.

I agree. I dont mind at all sharing some info if a couple guys want to come and talk and share reports. The people that bother me are the ones who crowd in real close around me and act like I'm not even there. mad

If I didn't like sharing information with others, I wouldn't be registered on FM; I'd just be a "lurker"... cool

#1. no problem sharing spots as long as people aren't dumb about it. Its a complement to have people try to fish near you, especially when you know you can still out fish them. BUT, they best not be there when i come back the next day... smile. psh. its everyones lake isn't it!

ps....20yrs old, John von labler McClasification

Wow, the way you worded #2, I dont think to many people are going to pick that one.

I would say that I fall some place in between #1 and #2.

I normally only fish a handful of lakes and I am over 30 years of age. I do own pretty much all the ice-fishing toys...but hey, I am a gadget guy.

I enjoy meeting new people on the ice but get a little disappointed if they drive across the lake just to set up 5 feet from me because I am all alone...thus they think I must be catching something. I dont enjoy people asking me for cords to my spots. My theory is that I took the time to read a lake map, popped 100s of holes and succeeded on trial and error...and now someone expects me just to give up the info. No thanks. I will be happy to share my theory as to what makes a good spot and show them how to read the map themselves. I dont care for the type of people that pull up, look at your catch and pull out their GPS and mark the spot....I know the lake belongs to all but wish such people would be a little more tactful about it.

I have had plenty of days of no luck on the lake but I am rarely disappointed. I enjoy the journey more than the destination in most cases.

Well, I am right down the middle of them. I fish a ton of lakes, if I see people not catching fish, I will often go so far as to take a jig out of my box, tie it on for them, and help drill holes closer to where the fish are. Done it many times to complete strangers.

And I have just about every gadget known to man.. and then some.

I'm neither.

I am over 30, but own no "gadgets" whatsoever. Chop my hole with a chisel, my pole is the old "stick" type with no real. I fish like my grandpa fished.

I know the lakes real well, either through the ice. It make take me a few holes to find a spot, but I do find it.

I have secret spots, and don't share what I have been catching. I don't mind when people join me or take my holes the next day...but I don't tell anyone if I have been catching anything. I will hide my catch when I leave the lake.

I guess I am a 1.25. I have alot of gadgets, do not fish alot of different lakes, sometimes share way too much information of a good bite.

In my more experienced years of life I guess I am getting closer to the perfect "1", I could see myself being a "2" years ago. Just like fine wine, better with age.

I would say I am a #1. I love talking to people on the ice, and assuming they are respectful to me, I will help them out as much as I can. During the week I can only fish a few lakes because they are close enough to work....but I am always trying new places and "looking" for the bite. On the weekends I like Tonka, but I also like to pick out a new lake and go see what I can do. My tools are simple:

Yukon Shack

Mr. Heater

Lowrance H20c with Lakemaster chip

Vexilar FL-18

Jiffy White Lightning Auger

Minnow Bucket

Wow, great question...

#1 or #2? I can be either one, and that is governed by the people around me. Naturally, I am more of a #1 kind of guy.

If someone comes up, says "Hi", and is friendly, that will push me pretty hard to the #1 group. I have met a lot of great people that way, and got good tips. I will point out spots to try, depths and techniques, and what I am using.

If someone comes up, says nothing, and starts ripping holes a few feet away, then the top goes over, the bucket goes int he tub, and I will go mute, or outright leave the area. I had a guys auger chips actually bounce off my canvas one time on LOW.

#1. The dang sled is heavy enuff to pull around without all the latest and greatest stuff. Power auger (I'm getting older ya know) Vex, two poles and a heater. Oh and three or four of some kind of good specialty beer. Anything from Moose Drool to Schells Firebrick works. No Busch Lite on the ice for me! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I'm more of the first type, but I tend to goe overkill on the reels. Stradics and Sustains for ice fishing...

will be using my first powered auger, Strike lite this weekend...been using the LX5 for two years...

I don't mind a friendly "Hi" and convo...just not during prime time...LOL's

I am more a #2, but I enjoy my fishin if I catch fish or not.

I fish small lakes, and sharing any great success usually will lead to a community of houses where I was fishing. I prefer to fish with nobody around me, I avoid community holes like the plague, and when I go out to spots nobody fishes, houses always have to pop up and find out what I am catching, then I move again and the process repeats, drives me nuts!