• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be honest which are you?

fishmon

In my years of ice fishing I have noticed two distinct types of ice fisherman obviously not everyone will fit exactly into one category or the other but if you were forced to choose which one would you describe yourself as:

Type 1

Fishes a handful of lakes that he knows pretty much by heart - Uses a flasher but not much else – is friendly and does not mind honestly answering a couple of questions about the lake and how they are biting – feels that the lake belongs to everyone and there are no “private” spots – tend to be over 30 - if at the end of the day no fish are caught he still had a good time and was glad to get out.

Type 2

Fishes wherever he thinks the bite is hot – Owns and employs every new gadget known to man – considers anyone coming up to him on the ice as an intrusion and tends to hide his catch – if someone sees him fishing and takes that spot the next day (and not on a community spot) they are in his spot – tend to be under 30 – if at the end of the day no fish are caught they are disappointed and feel they should have went to a different lake or tried a different tactic.

I think it might be interesting. What do you think? Are you a 1 or a 2?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definately a 1.. have a flasher and use it when i do get out. I moved to this area 3 yrs ago and although there are a bunch of lakes around here i have only hit a few and tried to learn them myself from the info given to me... I dont mind sharing info at all and if I get a chance to hook my son on fishing or any other kid for that matter, it's well worth the time and effort

I can honestly say I'm a one...with the gadgets though! But if I can catch fish, I'll let anybody know where and how I'm catching them. I won't post it on the web for I have respect for others, but I will help out if someone flat out ask me. I would expect the same from other "1s" so I'll do that for them.

Being that im 23 I should fall into #2 and mostly do, but I still would say a little bit of #1 as well.

I tend to buy and try out the new things that come out. I use my flasher and like to search for fish in areas no one else is fishing. I enjoy it if other people are with me but like you said, if I've worked hard to find a hot spot and see someone else take it I would be a little upset.

I consider myself to be honest about how fish are biting and on what lake, but wont give out the exact spot where I was. I try to be more helpful when talking to others fishing the lake at the same time. To me the others out there are working just as hard to catch fish and I have no problem telling others what is or isn't working.

I don't mind showing others the fish I have caught once I leave the lake but not while I'm on it. I like to try new lakes but still have several that I fish quite often. I feel like every lake deserves a shot so if I'm given a chance at a new lake, I'll probably try fishing it at least once.

I enjoy putting others who dont fish much on hot spots. If I can't catch a fish I'm hope the people I take with are getting them.

Boy who wants to admit he's a number 2. I'm like to think I'm a one, I like to get an understanding of what type of person I might share infor with, One time on the rainy river a guy was docking his boat with his son, an I was giving him alot of info an what had caused me an my bro to limit out within an hour with nice eyes, I walked back to my camper an ten minuets later he was yelling at his kid an being a complet jack--- an snapped hard at my brother when he offerd to help with his boat. I was being nice an this guy deffinatley did'nt deserve the info I gave him. My 2 cents Boar

I'm a #1. I use a flasher, Otter Lodge and pull it around with a 99 ZR600 and replace my equipment when it needs replacing, not to get the latest thing on the market. I fish a variety lakes, but try new ones every year. I share some general information, but I know how to keep my mouth shut when a bite is on. I don't care who stops by the house when I'm fishing or if someone has a spot I want. I do care if someone sets up close enough to hear them talking.

Some of my fishing buddies are "gadgeteers". But its their hobby and they seem to enjoy all that stuff. I wouldn't necessarily classify the #2's as mostly under 30.

I could care less if I catch any fish or how many HP your new bass boat has. I fish one lake 99% of the time in my $750 alumacraft with my $30 Crappie pole. just get me on the water (hard or open, I dont care)

I'm probably closer to a #2. I like all the gadgets and find them as amusing as fishing itself. I don't hide info from other people, but do get annoyed if I'm on a hot bite and others flock to the area. I still enjoy going out if I don't catch fish, but it's always nice to have consistent action.

BTW, I think you polling choices are a little biased. The first guy is the person everyone wants to be, and #2 is the guy everyone hates. Your descriptions could have been a little more even as far as negativity. No one's gonna want to be a #2 the way you described it.

#1, although I do use a Vexilar and GPS.

The way I look at it, I'm not that great of a fisherman, so if people want to ask me and take my advice, then I'm more than happy to give it to them. The only exception being if someone else gave me some info and told me not to share it. Overall though, it's everyone elses lake and in the spirit of good sportsmanship I'll be more than happy to attempt to lend a helping hand, after all there's 10,000 other lakes I can go fish.