• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

too clear of water

Do any of you believe in the idea that water you are spearing in can be too clear? I have always done very well spearing pike when I could see the bottom through some murk or with a handful of potatoes or egg shells but to be honest, I have never done well in perfectly clear water. This year I have spent the bulk of my time on perfectly clear lakes and have speared my only pike when I could barely see the bottom.

I am just curious if sometimes the water could be too clear and/or if the pike see the line going to the decoy or something else that stops then from coming in. I would think that the clearer the better as the pike can see the flash of the decoys from further away but maybe they are just not willing to come in when they see the line. Any thoughts???

Of course this year could just be karma for me considering the last couple years I just randomly dropped my house and did well without a lot of effort:P.

clear water is for the most part what I would love to have. It maybe that there are to many people walking around or making noise that is the problem, or the area you are spearing in. Try another lake or way away from others to havw a better chance at some fish.

Being stubborn got me one tonight. Of course, it had marks on it from being speared and either kicked back in or shaken off in the past but I will still take it.........3lbs is good for pickling....

I did change my line to something thinner and went with more natural colors on my decoy, not sure if it mattered though considering the one I got was probably just a fluke.

I think a change of atttuide would help, not being sarcastic, I never go on a lake thinking I;m going to get skunked. Crystal clear water has always been hard to spear in for me. I would use vanish line on my decoys, the decoys I would use would be the baby bass, norther decoy or bullhead. maybe a real big sucker, 14 ins. You do not need a lot of flash in clear water. The under side of the ice is one big mirror. I have had pike swim into the hole right under the ice and head down to the decoys for a better look lots of times. setting up in 5- 6 ft. of water also in my opinion is better, my reason is there is less water area and the fish are less spookie.

personaly the clearer the water the better. i cant stand sitting there all day looking at stained water, although my luck this year has not been good. i spent a good part of last year in very shallow water (no more than 3 feet) and did well. it was clear at first and a fue weeks later got dirty but i could still see fish come in. i aggree with efgh that attitude has alot to do with it. nobody knows when thoes fish are going to be moving but you can never stop being optamistic when your on the ice.