• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BASS, WORTHLESS FISH???

Agronomist_at_IA

I prefer walleye, crappie, northerns, and trout over a bass anyday. However, in late july and august when the water temps heat up and my favorite fish aren't biting.... I always find myself going after bass.

Currently i'm stationed with the army in TN and these guys down here love their bass fishing. If you said bass were a worthless fish down here I think you'd get your arse whipped.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sort of a silly topic. All fish are worthwhile. There are lots of "under utilized" fish that are terrific fun to catch, even if they aren't so good to eat. Suckers, red horse, carp, buffalo, burbot, gar, mooneye, sheepshead, whitefish, etc. They're all fun to catch. I once caught, and unwittingly tossed back, a creek chub in WI that seemed unusually large, so I measured it. Turns out it would have been a state record at 12 1/4". Just depends on how you define "fun."

Although I have to admit if I never caught another bullhead I wouldn't miss them. wink

I agree with blackdog, all fish are fun to catch. Bass have a pretty good fight to them along with other fish. Through the ice the meat is pretty firm as well. I keep them when I fish with my Dad cause he's old School and dosen't like to throw fish back. I'm teaching him though on the small and large going back down the whole.

It is sort of a silly topic. All fish are worthwhile. There are lots of "under utilized" fish that are terrific fun to catch, even if they aren't so good to eat. Suckers, red horse, carp, buffalo, burbot, gar, mooneye, sheepshead, whitefish, etc. They're all fun to catch. I once caught, and unwittingly tossed back, a creek chub in WI that seemed unusually large, so I measured it. Turns out it would have been a state record at 12 1/4". Just depends on how you define "fun."

Although I have to admit if I never caught another bullhead I wouldn't miss them. wink

ummm no silly is catching suckers, red horse, carp, buffalo, burbot, gar, mooneye, sheepshead.... All garbage fish, that need to be thrown on the ice or shore.

Taste and quality is all a matter of opinion. I'm more worried about parasites (worms). I've seen more worms in Bass and Sunfish then any other specie. I've had Smally's up north of Ely and they're pretty darn good. Same goes for Northern, taste different in different regions and water quality sure plays a role. I've also noticed people tend to say "ugly" fish don't taste good. How many have really given eel pout, or bullhead a good taste test?

But when it comes to fishing, I can't see how any fish isn't worth the while to catch. If thats your feelings, then maybe you should take up a new hobby?

Originally Posted By: blackdog1101

ummm no silly is catching suckers, red horse, carp, buffalo, burbot, gar, mooneye, sheepshead.... All garbage fish, that need to be thrown on the ice or shore.

Every species plays a role in the eco system. Without most of the ones you mentioned, other fish like walleye and cats will lose a main source of there diet which means more of them will ultimately die off and the ones remaining will be skinny and unhealthy. Put some thought into your actions and words. It's too bad the school system can't teach common sense to close minded individuals. crazy

In this county, Bass fishing brings in the most revinue of all the types of fishing. Granted up here in the north you might find that eyes are the king, but most of the county it is bass. I have all my summer fishing tied up in bass. Tsk Tsk for starting this thread.

Originally Posted By: blackdog1101

go ahead and do that. the state could use the several hundered dollars that it would make off of you when you are fined for breaking the law. No fish deserves to be killed for no reason. I for one would be calling tip as fast as I could pull my phone out if I saw that.

sheephead are the ONLY native fish that eat zebra mussels. they may be the key to controling the tiny pests. Not to mention they aren't a bad eating fish at all. white, firm meat. they are great smoked.

mooneye, suckers, buffalo and redhorse make up a very large percent of the diet of northern pike, bass, and walleye.Especialy in rivers where they thrive, not to mention that they are native. suckers/redhorse from clean waters are great eating. fish patties, grilled with brown sugar, or smoked.

carp can be put almost up to steelhead for fighting capabilities. carp fry can make up a large amount of a bass diet.

Burbot are one of the best tasting fish in the state. I would take a nice burbot over a walleye any day of the week. boiled in seven up to make poor mans lobster, or fried up in a pan.

even bullheads, when taken from cold, clean waters are great fried up in shore lunch or, or blackened on the grill.

simply put, when you are killing these fish, it is taking your precious "gamefish's" food away. that sucker you just killed just deprived a four pound walleye of a meal. Its going to eat a smaller walleye in its place.

Just this year I was bass fishing hooked one deep and it wouldnt have made it. So i took it home and cooked it up and it was really good. I won't make a habit of it but If it is a smaller bass and the water is still cold and I hook it bad I would eat another one.

Quote:

Great scott! we have a time traveler from the 1970s! wink

This is 2008! fire up that flux capacitor and get back in time Marty! And don't forget your Holiday fiberglass rod and your new state of the art made in usa zebco 33! grin

Originally Posted By: Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Dude, you need help.

Do you ever fish open water, or just the hard stuff? Do you ever fish for just fun, or you strictly a meat keeper?

Without bass, cities fisherman might just as well sell their boats. Sure, there are pan fish (mostly small), some pike, some skies, and limited 'eyes, but if you want some fun, consistent action, you can count on Mr. bass to provide. Just don't try eating one laugh

Nope only ice here

That explains a lot

well we eat bass and got to say taste better then northern when you pan fry them a good eater is from 12-14 inchs. and not only that there alot of fun to catch so not worthless. sheep head carp and dog fish worthless fish.

Well with all the diverse commentary here all I can say is I hope this has caused some folks to look at this subject in a different light. Now with several other people talking about the ecosystem balance for these other species hopefully it is clear that all fish are necessary. Whether you like to catch,eat,or even look at them they all serve a valuable purpose and hopfully that is a little better understood now. As for people still talking about killing fish for no reason or leaving them on the ice....I would think twice about boasting about something like that, thats all I'm gonna say. Other than that I think that kind of commentary speaks for itself. It's time we get rid of this old fashioned viewpoint that 2 species of fish are good and the rest are junk.....my grandpa may not have known any better when he said they were junk....but anyone reading this has no excuse. Good fishing and may your lines be heavy with burbot smile

Great posts by the guys discussing the value of the entire ecosystem. There is no such thing as a useless fish - otherwise, Mother Nature would have eliminated it. Think about it. Dogfish - probably the most hated fish of all - play a CRITICAL role in maintaining predator/prey relationships in most bodies of water. The bass, northern, musky, and walleye aren't eating all the panfish and forage fish - not by a LONG shot.

As far as bass goes - they are a big bluegill. Properly prepared and harvested in a responsible manner, they are delicious. Same with bullhead, eelpout, northern, etc. The guys criticizing these various species as table far I doubt have ever eaten them! Bullhead flesh is white and flaky - awesome! And northern flesh is whiter and firmer than walleye, I think it has better flavor. But that's my opinion :-)

Wow I am really disappointed with this thread. I can't believe people on this site would suggest to wasting a fish because they don't understand the value. In the last couple of years I have become really fond of this HSOforum for a multiple reasons. One of those reasons is because the people on here seem to be true sportsman and understand the importance of protecting our resources. Don'T give me wrong I love eating fish and there is nothing wrong with it. But to go out and say one fish or another should be killed because you don't like it. Really makes me disappointed. That is something a true sportsman would never say. frown