• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BASS, WORTHLESS FISH???

Agronomist_at_IA

ive never had a bad tasting bass out of minnesota waters. i dont keep them very often, but they dont taste fishy. they arent quite as flaky or white as walleye or pannies, but still great and easy to fillet. i think the bad rep comes from the south where they are in really warm water. and they are one of the only options for freshwater fish in the south so people are protective of them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass are one of my favorites to target. I mainly target bass on the open water, while on the ice mainly panfish. I don't run into bass much if at all on the ice so the "seasons" stay pretty separate for me. Now if those darn pike would hit the tip-ups like they're supposed to instead of the small jig and crappie minnow on 4# test, all would be perfect grin

no one is disputing that they are fun to catch. I'm betting most people wished it was a walleye on instead.

I have had it both ways, one time I was eye fishing and hooked into a fih on my light jigging rod that I thought was a monster walleye at least 10 pounds, i finally worked it to the surface after a long fight in the depths only to find a dissapoinment in the form of a 3 pound smallmouth bass on my line.

On the other hand, one time I was fishing in a bass contest and had a huge blow up on a snagproof frog that made a big hole in the matted grass.

I snuck up and pitched a big jig in the hole and that fish just pounded it. I set the hook into what I thought was the new record bass only to find it was about a 5 pound walleye! that was kind of a heartbreaker!

I'm not a huge bass fan either, I don't target them much ( unless I need muskie bait grin ) They are fun to catch or take the kid out and let her have fun. Through the ice I'll take whatever bites, but other than a smallmouth here and there I don't eat green carp.

Walleye and Muskies only on open water whatever bite through the ice.

More fun to catch than a walleye, but not nearly as good to eat.

I get a kick out of you folks that seem to think that only the best tasting fish are worth anything and all others should be thrown on the ice.

If walleye tasted like bass and bass like walleye, all you bass hating fools would be throwing frogs in the weeds and talking trash about people trolling raps through the middle of mille lacs in october. wink You would also admit that it takes 5lbs of walleye on your line before it feels like something more than a water logged sock. grin

More fun to catch than a walleye, but not nearly as good to eat.

I get a kick out of you folks that seem to think that only the best tasting fish are worth anything and all others should be thrown on the ice.

If walleye tasted like bass and bass like walleye, all you bass hating fools would be throwing frogs in the weeds and talking trash about people trolling raps through the middle of mille lacs in october. wink

Amen brother. The mentality that a fish deserves to die simply because they don't taste good sounds pretty pretty foolish. crazy

What about burbot! people leave them out on the ice, and they only LOOK like they don't taste good! mad

Right on! burbot are Cod family fish and some of the tastiest fish we have in MN...to each their own of course. Trout are great too. Most importantly I think every wild creature is unique and definately necessary in the ecosystem. I don't see why anyone would dislike any of them....if you don't like to eat them you don't have to. I mean yeah I have gotten a bit frusterated at a burbot twisting itself around other lines above or below the ice at 2 in the morning, but when all is said and done and I land it...I look at it and think "what a cool fish". I am kind of a fish and wildlife nerd but I don't see how you can't be intrigued by all the differences of the species. Bass are really fun to catch as any avid bass fisherman will tell you...there is nothing like watching them hit a topwater, or a plastic in a foot of water. All species have different quirks that make them fun...like watching a ski follow, or snap at a figure 8...or a slab crappie steal your bait many many times even with a spring bobber, or when they pick it up...that tap tap of a Walleye or a Pike hitting like a freight. Of course they don't always react this way but I find each species amazing. And someone mentioned carp....if you have never been out early season when they are shoulder to shoulder you gotta try it...they are an exception because of the problems they cause and them being european but still cool fish...and I wouldn't eat one but some do. Different strokes for different folks as it goes I guess...just don't kill any fish you are not going to eat, it's illegalfor one, and completely unnecessary. It's all connected!