• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 4 wheeler owner...

bmc

This fall I bought a used 1995 Polaris Sportsman 400 from a buddy of mine. I want to get some new tires for it and am wondering which route to go? Mainly I will be using it for ice fishing and a little trail riding. Any suggestions? Do chains make that big of a difference during the winter months? It also has a winch and plow on it. The back tires sure seem to spin alot when I'm trying to back up when the plow is on (yes the plow is raised off the ground). Would chains on the back tires solve this problem?

Anyone have any tips for maintanince on it? It sure is nice getting out to those early ice spots on Winnie!

Brian

If you want to put chains on for the wintertime, I would suggest a shallower lug. Something along the lines of the ITP Holeshot ATR's. Once you get into the deeper lugs like the ITP Mudlite XT, the chains will fall inbetween the lugs and will be useless.

With the spinning tires in reverse, throw a bag of sand on the back. Anything to weigh down the rear of the machine will help as the plow hanging on the front of the machine is changing the weight balance.

Maintenance will be key. I don't recall if the front is chain driven or if they went with a shaft for '95, but anytime you go through water, push some grease through the zerks to push the water/moisture out. Do keep the rear chain well maintained/lubed. Dirt/dust/gravel should be brushed off the chain and lube it often to preserve the life of the chain.

Yep, it's a 3 chainer. Keep up on the chains. That is very important, along with the starter. Keep it out of the water as much as you can. The starters are mounted very low and are known to go out.

Plowed with a 1994 400L (same machine) for years. It still runs and plows. They do need weight in the rear for plowing. They are pretty light on the rear end. In it's day, those machine's could not be beat.

Thanks for the info. guys. DUH on the sandbag, such an easy fix, but I panicked I guess. No problem staying out of the water, no mudding here, just want to keep this sucker in working order for ice fishing and plowing.

Brian