• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help vexilar problem

adamm1

I bought a used fl-8 and it is having a few problems. when I bought it I turned it on and it seemed to be fine. I turned it on it spun a couple of colors showed up a top screwing with the gain made more colors show up

right now it when you turn it on the fish alarm goes off continuously and the lights come on for a little bit and then shut off while the disc keeps spinning

Here is what I have done

1) switched out the transducer. it came with a puck style transducer i bought a 19 degree floating one I was planning on using the puck style for open water.

2)charged the battery initially the lights went off then after I charged the bat for a few hours it seemed to work normally

3) cleaned the inside and the contacts for the brushes per the instructions on vexilar's HSOforum. The colors were dim and the unit was filthy when I opened it up I found a lot of dust and the rings were dark but it all cleaned up well i couldn't see and burn marks on the board or other signs of problems

Finally i have a few questions about normal functioning of a vex

1) when you turn it on out of water should it function the same as out of water. What i mean is should it be able to pick up my hardwood floor as the bottom if I hold it 5 feet off the ground should I be able to see my fingers pass under the transducer?

2) What does a failing battery cause a vex to do? I have no idea of the condition of the battery it came with

3) is there a problem using a 12v battery. This is a vexilar battery but they only sell 9 and 7 on the HSOforum

4)is there anything else anyone can think of

If the battery sat poorly charged for an extended period it may take up to 6 days to recharge fully again..or it could be shot.

Try a known good battery and see, and if it is shot replace it with a 9 amp 12 V and you should be good to go.

My FL8 pickes up my hardwood floors, but since water is denser then air there is a multiple of 3. 3 feet will equal a reading of 9 feet. and if I put my hand under the puck it does show up on the vex. I've had my battery run low and it will start to act up, but mostly it's just not as bright, then it'll just not show up anymore. BTW a 12v battery at full charge should read 12.3volts or so.

The speed of sound in air is about 342 meters per second, while in freshwater it's about 1500 meters per second. In essence it should be closer to a multiple of four. I always wonder why I can't get a foot reading when I put my hand under the transducer only about a foot away.

my battery may have taken a dump also...i took it out with low juice and ran it almost dead...i couldn't see the battery light to tell how much juice i had in the bright sun.

it ran fine for awhile then the lights around the screen just kept spinning like a wheel...so i shut her down...now its been plugged in for 3 days and still isn't fully charged....i drained it before on fishing trips but i never remembering it taking this long to fully charge.

sounds like yours is a battery issue also imo