• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which flasher?

Ol' Lund

Hey-

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched and did find some info, but would jsut like some more opinions. This will be my first flasher, I have only used one once.

I have it narrowed down to two, which one do you think i should get and why?

Vexilar FL-18 Pro Pack II

or

Humminbird Ice 45

thanks!

I do not know, that is “tuff” one grin

I am and have been a Humminbird guy for many, many years when it comes to open water (great customer service for “set up” and no problems to speak off). When it comes to hard water, I am a Marcum guy now as of last year (Eagle before that). I see absolutely no reason to switch my Marcum LX-5 any time soon (or ever), but if I was looking, I would be looking hard at the Humminbird Ice 45 or 55 hands down.

Here is some info that might help you:

!!!Click Here!!!!

You really can't go wrong with any of the three. I have an FL-8 but would like to go to an LX5. For now I'm going to upgrade my 522c Lowrance to the ice stuff and see how that goes. Any flasher is better than no flasher if you don't have one.

Personally I would go with the 18. It has years of proven performance under its belt. I have one and love it. I like the Humminbird, but it has yet to prove itself. I have heard they are a nice flasher, but it's just the beginning of the year. For your first one, I wouldnt hesitate buying a used one off of the c-list to save you a little, and if in fact the Humminbird has no problems and are a reliable unit, you can use what you saved and buy what you want next time around. My dad has an 8 that he bought something like 17 or 18 years ago and still works great, if that says anything.

That is a tough one. I am a vexilar guy had a 18 for about 5 years now and love it. Customer service is top notch there and they are in bloomington so easy to get taken care of immediatly if your in the cities. I am impressed with the new hummingbirds, but I don't think I would change anytime soon. Just been tried and true for so many years.

I think they're both good flashers.

It seems to me that there's a few key differences in these units, not sure if those differences are important to you or not .....

- time-tested unit or newest and latest model to hit the market

- single beam or dual beam for versatility

- low power output or high power output

I don't think you can buy a bad flasher, and I think these are both good choices. Good luck with your decision.

I had the Ice 55...I tried it 3 times this year on the ice. I gave it a chance... I took it back and got the FL 20. I am so much happier with the Fl 20. I humminbird is great in theory. It accurate, Big display is nice, but...the depth reading never stopped rolling, the back lit LCD display bleed through into the flasher ring and isn't adjustable. The blues and other lighter colors are drowned out in the day light. Even on the 3 color pallet when i was getting strong signal return from approching fish, it only had two color response return. I didnt like that, with my old marcum and my vex the signal always goes to 3 colors when the fish is right below.

OlLund,I think it's a personal choice really.I just ordered a FL 18 Pro pack II from PerchJerker.I have had a FL 8 SLT for a real long time and it will serve my grand kids well.I like the security of using a tried and true flasher.There are a lot of guys trying to get the bird to work properly.And they will.Just that I don't have time to fool with that mess.

FL-18 between the 2 you've listed only because the Humminbird is still new and the issues that may arise are still unknown. I switched to a LX-5 this year from a FL-18 and I'm happy with my decision. I caught a lot of fish with the Vex though grin

I have an FL-8slt that is 10 yrs. old and I use it all year round. It has not had a problem. Still have the same battery. I bought a Marcum and liked it but had several issues that were taken care of. I now have a 3rd flasher, a new FL-20 and I love it. I know someone that has a Hummer Ice 55 and he said it was hard on the eyes after 8 straight hours of fishing. He said it worked well though. Can't go too wrong with any of them.