• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red line vs. other line

Bothun

We sell a ton of the Red Cajun Ice line at work. It's suppose to be hard for walleyes to see, supposedly they can't see red? It's also claimed that when you get to a certain depth that red becomes invisible to all species.

I'm not really a fan of red lines, but I have them on my kid's ice rods because the red is so much easier to see against the ice and snow. It makes it easier for him to keep track of where his line is so it doesn't get stuck on the ice or wrapped around the flasher, etc.

If I want a line that is invisible to the fish I use P-Line FlouroIce.

An excellent report titled How to Select Lure Colors for Successful Fishing made for Wisconsin Sea Grant by author and researcher Linda Campbell details this explicitly: “Total light intensity is also important. On a cloudy day, colors will not penetrate as deep as they will on a sunny day. At dusk, as light intensity falls, reds are the first colors to go, followed by orange, yellow, green, and blue.

Think about it in terms of ice fishing for a minute. Minimal light penetrates a snow and ice covered lake. Red is on the low end of the color spectrum. At 10' red will appear rust orange to the human eye. At 20' red will appear dark brown to the human eye. I am not sure how a fish's spectrum relates, but I think there is something to red (both line and lures) because red has produce more fish for me than any other color.

Just because that red line is easy to tie or find on the white snow, is irrelevant when 20' under the ice.

We sell a ton of the Red Cajun Ice line at work.

That's good line if you aren't fishing scissor bills. The best part, I can spool two reels for less than 4 bones. It ties a solid knot and has minimal memory compared to most of the other summer and ice lines I have fished in the winter.

I was at Gander the other day and a really friendly guy saw me looking at line. He fishes with Red Line exclusivley in the winter. He said it stays more pliable in cold air and water and the vanishing effect was a real bonus. I picked up 3lb and 6lb to try this season. I'm a die-hard Trilene fan, but, man the better lines are getting a little expensive. $16.00 for 300Yd. spool of Co-Poly.

I don't really buy the whole "invisible" when in the water....if a clear line is virtually invisible above the ice-whats the difference? Why wait until its X number of feet below the surface for it to turn invisible.

That being said, I do like the colored lines for the simple fact of its easier to see where you line is when its on the ice. My kids tend to end up with yards of it all over when ever they land one-lots easier to get it all back on the spool or down the hole if you know where your looking.

Usually red line or other colored lines work well for me. I now only use clear. I was ice fishing rainbows a couple years ago with my two cousins. I had red line, one cousin had blue line, and the other had plain clear. The two of us with colored line could not catch a thing while my cousin with clear line was catching them right next to us. We even tried the exact same jig. We decided to experiment a little so the two of us with the colored line made a 4 foot leader of the clear stuff and low and behold we also began catching fish. This is the only time it has happened to me but just in case I only use the clear stuff now.

We sell a ton of the Red Cajun Ice line at work. It's suppose to be hard for walleyes to see, supposedly they can't see red? It's also claimed that when you get to a certain depth that red becomes invisible to all species.

Mozy, where do you work? I doubt that walleyes have a problem seeing the color red. Look at the number of lure companies that incorporated glow red into their color arsenals over the past 5 years. I use Red Cajun and Blue Gamma ESP and haven't noticed much of a difference in fish caught because of the line color. I like it because it is easier to see when tying knots and when laying on the ice and snow as well as for sight fishing.

Its not that walleyes can't see red. Red is first color of light in the visible spectrum to be filtered out by water. All red light is filtered by the time you reach about 20 meters in depth. Which is about 65 feet. This is due to its short wave length compared to other colors like blue. So since most fishing on lakes is done in depths shallower than this anything that is red like line or lures is still visible to varying degrees depending on how deep you are fishing.

There's more hokes about florocarbon lines then there are about red lines. They stretch, absorbs water, has a very discernable shine at certain angles, are stiff, poor knot strength, and most are just line coating. About the only thing that's not hyped about flourocarbon lines are that they can change lure action with enough nuances to trigger an otherwise missed opportunity.

The reasoning behind it is that red is the first color in the color specturm to dissapear under water(i.e. at shallowe depths than other colors.) For example, when diving anything red fades and looks like it's green once you get down a ways.

It does not "vanish". The red color eventually appears as brown then black depending on depth. Think about it for a minute. if red turned invisible then all red lures would be invisible to fish at 20ft or so. The only line that is "invisible" is fluoro.

I’m with Mark on this one. I believe the Red line thing is a gimmick.

Azrael, did you catch anything a couple weeks ago? I made it up there last weekend and did pretty well.

Yep, I was up there. I didn’t do as much fishing as I wanted to though. Got a couple Northerns but no Eyes.

I was hoping to get up on Leech that weekend but when I went to check the lake it looked pretty iffy at that time, so I decided to play it safe and Fish it some other weekend.

Hopefully I’ll be up next weekend with a friend from work to try Leech again.