Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RonZych

Pulling a fish house with an ATV

15 posts in this topic

I have a 8by10 fishouse I built. It is is just the shell with nothing in it except insulation. Built out of 2by2 walls and 2by4 floor/ceiling joists and 2 runners. My wheeler is a honda 300 4by4 with chains on the back. Does anyone think I could pull it across the ice right now? There is about 3" of snow on the ice currently so I think if I can get it going it shouldnt be a problem. Any thoughts?

Ron,

once you get your momentum up, you should be ok with runners under the house.

Food for thought: There was a thread here in the ATV forums about putting chains on all four corners.

Pulling any load with chains on the back will lighten your front end from the traction and with so little snow, you'll have very little steering ability.

I was told never chain the front, The front differential is not as strong as the rear and you could rip it out. But I have seen it done.

SSCHOPSHOP,

I've heard the same and have seen the same.

The only issue I have with the claims is the front diff will be under the same stress load if a person had better than OEM tires in most any other terrain (dirt/mud/sand) and using 4x4.

At least with ice, there will still be a fair amount of slippage, even with chains.

Mine is full time 4wd, can't switch from 2 to 4wd.(Maybe a stronger front axle design?) so I would think putting them in front would be ok but, rear should be enough.

Thanks for the input. I will be giving it a whirl tomorrow. I can always leave it near shore if it doesnt work.

My dealer also said if I have to put chains on the front just put one on, that why the other side is free. But this is on a Polaris with a locked front.

My dealer also said if I have to put chains on the front just put one on.

Never heard that one. Interesting though.

OH, Welcome to FM SS.

I have never chained the front, I run a Sportsman 700, I chain the back and push my right thumb all the way forward till I'm scared then let off a little. Then its time to drill holes, LOL...

with a SP700 with chains on the back, throttle pinned, you're cutting channels for trolling. Hook on a daredevil and start running grin

Ya there is snow behind you, Don't a temp on thin ice. I piped and jetted it, you should here how nice a twin sounds.

A polaris twin sounds like a lawnmower. Yours must sound like a loud modified lawnmower.

SSCHOPSHOP,

I've heard the same and have seen the same.

The only issue I have with the claims is the front diff will be under the same stress load if a person had better than OEM tires in most any other terrain (dirt/mud/sand) and using 4x4.

At least with ice, there will still be a fair amount of slippage, even with chains.

I agree, just take it easy with the chains on and driving in 4X4 on anything other than snow/ice.

Last year I used chains on all four tires of my Suzuki 300 KingQuad 4x4 and really had no problems. Of course I can take mine out of 4x4 whenever I dont need it so I try not using it unless it is necessary. I figure the less I use it when not needed the less wear and tear. I did find out that without the chains on the front steerability was difficult. With the chains the unit became a traction beast. Pay attention to your diferential and u joints and you should be okay...