Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finlander

Can't believe it, Tap water for minnows!

8 posts in this topic

My brother yesterday took some filtered water that was in the Brita water container and replaced the minnow water with it!

They are still alive and doing fine!

Has anybody ever done this before?

I keep mine alive all week on tap water..Always have..Change the water every day and keep em cold.

I've had the same minnows for the last month and a half.....I switch out 3 gallons of tap water every other day and there happy as a clam.

If you've got city water, just buy chlorine removal drops for an aquarium. Treat your tap water and it's fine for minnows. A Brita would remove the chlorine, too.

2 - 5gal buckets and tap water.

I let the fresh water bucket sit next to the bucket being used, ( in garage w/aerator) letting it sit for a day brings the new watre to the current temp of the bucket that the minnows are in so there is no shock when I transfer them, I rotate them every 2 or 3 days. Also by letting the tap water sit for a day the chlorine and other "stuff" gets a bit diluted. I can keep the minnows going for over a month and only loose a few.

Do the minnows need to be fed fish food or anything to keep them alive for a month or more?

blackdog,

I've noticed they sort things out on there own....(a few smaller ones start disappearing.)

Do the minnows need to be fed fish food or anything to keep them alive for a month or more?

I throw a sprinkle in there every week out of pity...I've never witnessed them eating it but who knows.