• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

USING PORTABLESSTANDS ON W.M.A.

otis32

if you didn't purchase the stand with your own hard earned money then it's not obviously yours. so respect that,someone else got there before you and find another spot, if you want to be a dink put your very own stand in a tree next to it.

so can it be assumed some guys on here are also helping themselves to someone elses fish house when they aren't using it on public water? same thing on state forest land if you didn't build it it's not yours, be a dink if you have to and build one next to it, or find a better spot.

special circumstances apply like: you've been there all week and nobody has used it since the weekend. its been there a few years and it looks like it's abandoned, no trail marking tape ect. if the guy shows up and your in it and you believe that he did take the time to scout out the property and build the stand and beat you to it, you say sorry i'll find a different spot, if you start arguing and stomping your foot and saying "this is state land you can't tell me what to do" you deserve to be put out of your misery for being a selfish one-who-thinks-I-am-silly.

another thing if your running into that many stands, don't you think it may be too over crowded and hunting would be better, and less frustrating elsewhere?

i didn't read all the posts and if someone already said the same thing..i agree with you.

You know someone still cant take someone's stand on public land no matter what That is stealing. If someone get caught will get fined for that. Its against the law. I know one guy eventually got caught end up get ticket for in possession of stolen property.

One Question I do have about this topic is. This person I know got his stand taken away because he left it on this WMA for more then one day(which is against the current law). But the CO only took his new stand and left somebodies else piece of home made junk stand there. Which was there before his and was still hanging there after deer season. It wasn't there last year when we hunted so I knew it was put up this year. What is the deal with that he had to drive right by it. apperently they don't bring enough money at there state auction sales.

I read through the the laws and it mentions permanent stands and blinds on public land can be used by anyone. Portable stands are not included and I believe they are your personal property not available for anyone to use.

Generally I hunt mon-wed on public lands. These odd days afield have allowed me to hunt from stands I find on public lands cause I don't have to worry about having a fight about "this is mine". BUT if I were on public land during the weekend I wouldn't hunt from it not wanting to fight with someone about it. Although, I might shoot it down for laughs or just to make the point known that this is PUBLIC land and it is a PRIVILAGE to hunt it so everyone should follow the law. Yup, its an a## move but but its also wrong to leave it up. Just be cool and don't d##k others over. Have hunted the Camp Ripley hunt and have seen met people that leave stands overnight and its just disappointing. Why is it so hard to follow the rules?

Here's another thing I don't like about this idea of leaving stands up and "claiming a spot". Before you put your stand up, how do you know "your" spot hasn't already been scouted by someone else planning to hunt there who perhaps hasn't left a trail of flagging on every other tree branch? Maybe we need to institute a permit/reservation system.

(kidding)

When does a portable become a permanent stand? There was one left in a tree in a WMA across the road from us. The stand was there for 5 or more years. It was a homemade portable, but since it was there for that long, could it have been considered permanent?? The attachments had grown into the tree over the years. Now if somebody uses it, are they then using a permanent stand in a WMA?? Obviously, nobody complained about it, and it has now come down, but herein lies part of the problem of leaving overnite, or overweek.