• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IFallsRon

The Twins have re-signed free agent Nick Punto to a two-year contract with an option for 2011.

“Nick has been an important part of the Twins’ success for the past five years,” General Manager Bill Smith said in the announcement. “He provides great defense up the middle and brings leadership and energy to our lineup.”

Terms of the deal were not released.

Punto, 31, batted .284 (96-for-338) with two homers and 28 RBI in 99 games last season.

On Tuesday, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters Punto would be his starting shortstop if he re-signed with the team. Other teams who spoke to Punto included the Mets and Phillies.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would've hated to see him up to bat with the pennant on the line in a late sept. match up.

Really? I would think that matchup would favor the Twins heavily no matter who they had on the mound. I like Punto's defense and am fine with him as a utility player. Starting at SS, fine if you bring a stud at 3B. If not, then I am unimpressed with their infield decisions.

Yes,that is sweet They had better of signed him. This team needs him. He can start all 3 positions, and when the others get hurt, he will step in as usual and shine. If he starts at shortstop even better. We know what we get with him.

Now to work on a 3rd basemen and the infield is set.

GOOD JOB TWINS WAY TO WAKE UP ON THAT ONE.

Windy is already getting scared.

G.C.

He is the human highlight reel. He is on ESPNs "Web Gems" practically every night, so what if you aren't going to see him in the Home Run Derby, figure with his solid defense he saves 100+ runs a season, that can be a huge factor in games. These are the Twins, they are not going to go out and put up a 12-3 score everynight, but in a 3-4 game, defense is crucial.

I am glad they signed him. they made it sound on the radio that he was more than willing to take less $$$$ from the twins to stay, but his agent wanted to see what the winter meetings held.

He is the best utility infielder the twins have had in ages.

still need to bring in some more players, he isn't really filling any of the holes we had last year, as stated reliever, power hitting rightside hitter at third,a homerun option at DH off the bench? Still need to get to work in free agency

Punto is strictly OK. I don't get it.

They could get any slick-fielding young kid to replace Punto. Why waste valuable dollars when there are real holes to fill? Did the Twins forget his 2007 season already? I haven't.

Blech. Really stupid.

what they paid for Punto is nothing in a market where people like carlos silva make a bajillion dollars a year when theyve never been better than avg.

Or the often injured over weight Sabathia just got. Punto plays everyday.

I think Nick is a great guy to have as the team in a limited role but I'll admit I'm disappointed that Gardy offered him the starting ss job if he re-signed. I was (probably unrealistically) hoping they were going to get J J Hardie as their ss, pick up a 3b with a little pop in the bat from the right side, and keep Punto as a utility guy.

It sure looks like only in Minnesota was he going to be the starting ss so I'd guess it was an easy choice for him to re-sign here. There just wasn't much other interest out there for him by the sounds of it.

I hope I'm wrong but I've got this feeling that this will be their big signing in the off season and there won't be much difference in the lineup from last season. I guess we can hope that the division won't have any real strong teams again like last year and they can at least make it an exciting summer and contend for the division title. It's a possibility but just don't see this team with the current roster going anywhere in the playoffs if they were to make it.

Oh well, at least we've got TJack back to lead the vikes to the super bowl and picked up Mike Miller to lead the T-Wolves to the NBA title so all's not bad in the sports world.

We gave Nick Punto...batted .284, 2 hr, 28rbis, 15 stolen bases 4.5 Million Dollars a year for 2 years and a club option for a 3rd year? UN-FRICKEN-BELIEVABLE!!!

Yet, Casey Blake, we offered 2 years 14million,7 million/year (signed w/LA for 3 17.5million),5.833 million/year. Tell me how this makes sense. I'm not sold on this Bill Smith guy. This was not a good move for the ball club. Last year he had 21 hrs,81 rbis, .274 avg. Third base has been a major hole for us since Koskie left.

FYI, the new stadium will generate $40 million MORE dollars in revenue/year than the Metrodome. How much will be spent on payroll. My guess....VERY LITTLE. Polad didn't become a billionaire by spending, he did it by saving.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
what they paid for Punto is nothing in a market where people like carlos silva make a bajillion dollars a year when theyve never been better than avg.

Or the often injured over weight Sabathia just got. Punto plays everyday.

Zamboni, are we talking about the same Nick Punto. Last year he played 99 games, 07-150 games, 06-135games,05-112games. He has never had 500 at-bats in a year. I'm not a Nick Punto fan and am definitely not impressed with the Twins off-season so far.