• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

making Ice jigs

You can take a hook and slide on beads and propeller type blades. Use a little thread and glue to hold everything in place. Or wrap wire around a hook and paint it, kind of looks like a grub. There are lots of things to try; you're only limited by your imagination.

You can make a pretty nice ice jig with a blob of solder. Start with a gold hook (necessary) and stick it into a board so the hook shank is flat on the top of the wood. Make a small blob of solder with a soldering iron and flux core solder. the size and shape of the blob is controlled by how you move the iron. When done soak it in acetone to remove the flux residue and paint them. It's easy to do and colors/shape is wide open to your imagination.

When I was a kid my dad and I did the same thing that hydro is talking about. We however used small spinners on one side of the hook.. and then put he hook on top of the spinner and then filed the hook side of the spinner with solder.. So we pained that side and the other side of the jig had a spinner flash.

I just tried my hand at making some jigging spoons, I obviously wasn't worried about the paint that much, but I figured they needed something for the testing stage, but it was pretty easy took spinner blades I had and filled em with solder, drilled another hole in the bottom for the split ring and hook and painted, next round will have a little bit more time put into the paint round of things, but I tested them and they work great, way slower fall than a regular jigging spoon cause they are fairly light, but they have a real nice wobble on the fall and triggered some bites even though they were probably the ugliest jigs the fish have ever seen grin

The small one is a 0 colorado blade and the bigger one is a 2 or 3 wide willow there pictured next to a 1/16 oz jiggn eye or whatever its called from jr's

DSC_0092.jpg

Actually what I was looking for was the slow fall with a nice flutter/wobble, these accomplished that. I know with the addition of tungsten to the arsenal people are always looking for something to get down deep fast, but I think sometimes that can be counter productive. I will wait for it to fall if its gonna produce fish!