• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

eskimo augers

bigbad401

Eskimo makes a fine augur. They are part of Ardisam which makes commercial dirt augurs and has for years. I have had one for 10 years and have no complaints whatsoever. Strikemaster also makes a fine augur and the main advantage of Strikemaster over Eskimo would be that the customer service of Strikemaster in Big Lake is absolutely superb. Either choice would do you fine.

I like the eskimo engine and use one quite often but I am not a fan of the amount of plastic they use now. I have an older engine(i use a strikemaster bit) and it is all metal on takes a beating. Last year we had a new one on the ice and it started dropping pieces in the first hour when it was cold.

I have a 10-15 year old Baracuda, 2 hp tecumsa engine, it's purple and yellow, if anyone makes fun of me I just say, "It's a Vikings auger". I've never done anything to it but put seafoam in the tank. Suprisingly I've never had an issue with carb.

2 things I don't like about it, it's very loud compared to the new Strikemaster Mag, and the tank is black so you can't see how much fuel is left.

I have had one for the past 4 years and I would buy one again. Cost was my first factor when I bought it, but I have found out it is a quailty auger. As stated above I have only put new gas it and pulled it three times and it runs. I started it a few months ago after it hung on my wall for two years with out running and it started on the third pull. Customer service is great. I had an issue with the power head not starting after being started first thing in the am. Called them, they gave me a few options to try (which I did) then called them back to say it did not change anything. With in three days had a brand new power head sitting on my door step and problem fixed. Could not ask for a better auger.

I bought a 2hp 8" model about 6-7 yrs ago? I recently looked at FF and agree that the new ones have much more plastic on them but haven't heard anything bad about them. Mine is a little older and everything is steel except for the tank. Even the throttle control is a solid piece of steel rod. Money was my biggest factor and I am very happy with the decision. I would try it out and if you don't like it you could always return it.

I have the Barracuda Plus 10 inch 3 horse tecumseh, it has been a great auger. I wish I had the newer version though. Lighter and quite a bit faster from everything I have seen. It also has a clear tank now. I would not be scared at all of the eskimo.

bigbad401, I've had a Z-51 Shark now for about 7 years. The ONLY problem I've had has been one VERY COLD morning, I lost my grip on the pull rope handle and it smacked the engine. The handle shattered, I replaced it with a flexible rubber one and haven't had a problem since. Phred52