Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Insp Gadget

Weight of a crank down and Ice thickness .....

11 posts in this topic

We just built our first crank down house, kept it light minimal finishing inside spray foam etc so we can get out on early ice. We plan to pull it with an ATV which I believe usually requires 6-8 inches for the atv.

We plan to weigh our house tomorrow, it has double axle and we estimate it will be about 3000lbs. What does your house weigh and how much Ice do you take it out on with your atv?

Thanks!

I was out on sunday and pulled a 8'by16' 2900lbs on 9 inches of ice with a polaris ranger had a total of 4000lbs on clear ice you could see it split and crack as you drove across ice it was a little spooky.

I have a 6.5x12 king crow and have pulled it out on 5.5 inches but prefure about 7. My house is pretty light though.

Clear lake near Jackson.I drove by on Tuesday and there was a mini van and a small car out ther also.

Thanks guys, I guess we'll find out today what it weighs,(taking it to a grain scale) but with this weather by sunday or monday when I have the chance to find out there may not be much medium ice 8-10" to test it on!

Boo-hoo ...... may just have to drive it out and fish!

5.5, 7, 8, 9 shocked

Apparently I was more than safe with a 8x14 Ice Castle and a Grizzly 660 on 10-12".

I thought that was pushing it at the time but I guess not.

8x27 5600lb all pull it out on 14 inches with a Honda 450.

8x14 not sure of the WT but its pretty striped down all pull it out on 7 inches

i've got a 8 x 16 on wheels but a single axle. I've had it on 5-6" of good clear ice. This yr w/all the snow on the ice I have decided to wait a little while yet.