• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiggging raps for pannies

jakemcarroll

Never fished these before but I read through the thread about the jiggin raps vs. the chubby darters and I'm thinking about picking up one or two of the jiggin raps to give them a shot. I primarily fish crappies and sunnies, anyone have any advice for colors or sizes?

Crappies and perch love the #2 rap with one spike hung on each treble. I like the firetiger, perch, and natural silver/black ones.

They are a great search lure or when on aggressive fish. If your getting some sniffers but they wont commit, try shakeing the bait enough so it dosent move but the larva flop around in thier face or try slowly pulling the lure away as fish are comming towards it.

If you get rejected a few times its time do downsize...

Great bait for crappies in the right waters and situations. Limited use for sunfish though on account of the morphological differences in mouth size.

I love both the Chubby Darter and Jigging Rap. Great baits for a variety of species. W2 sized raps, #3 darters, love them both in perch and glow.

Smallest jigging rap and a flasher is the best hole jumping setup. We fished an area lake in 9ft of water and used and aquaview. I had it set up so I could see both of my friends lures and one of mine. When I put the jigging rap down after a couple of bounces we saw sunfish, crappie and a few bass show up. It is like using a decoy when spearing. I hate catching pan fish on the trebles. Can be nasty getting the lure out of their mouths. I use euros on all the hooks as well.

crazyfishnguy, welcome to FM, it's a great place for tips and tricks and just to share experiences. I have only been out once this year down in Eden Prairie on a small lake, and caught 2 sunnies in the 30 minutes I was out (really just scouting, but it was great to get my ice line wet!). Anyways, look in the metro area forum that will give some info on some local lakes and what has been working!

Looks like I'll be shopping for some new lures this weekend, so the only question is if I get new lures, what do I need to bring home to my wife...? ha ha

Heard you were trying to get permission last night to pick up a couple more rod/reel combos as well. I put in a good word for you. Good luck.