Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jakemcarroll

Jiggging raps for pannies

19 posts in this topic

Never fished these before but I read through the thread about the jiggin raps vs. the chubby darters and I'm thinking about picking up one or two of the jiggin raps to give them a shot. I primarily fish crappies and sunnies, anyone have any advice for colors or sizes?

We use them quite a bit for crappie on the St. Croix. Mostly use the W2 (smallest size.) Chrome blue has been the most productive for us, but other colors do work.

Crappies and perch love the #2 rap with one spike hung on each treble. I like the firetiger, perch, and natural silver/black ones.

They are a great search lure or when on aggressive fish. If your getting some sniffers but they wont commit, try shakeing the bait enough so it dosent move but the larva flop around in thier face or try slowly pulling the lure away as fish are comming towards it.

If you get rejected a few times its time do downsize...

Great bait for crappies in the right waters and situations. Limited use for sunfish though on account of the morphological differences in mouth size.

I love both the Chubby Darter and Jigging Rap. Great baits for a variety of species. W2 sized raps, #3 darters, love them both in perch and glow.

Smallest jigging rap and a flasher is the best hole jumping setup. We fished an area lake in 9ft of water and used and aquaview. I had it set up so I could see both of my friends lures and one of mine. When I put the jigging rap down after a couple of bounces we saw sunfish, crappie and a few bass show up. It is like using a decoy when spearing. I hate catching pan fish on the trebles. Can be nasty getting the lure out of their mouths. I use euros on all the hooks as well.

I always use them to decoy pannies in. When the screen fills up I drop something else to them. If they're real aggressive I'll keep the rap down there but I usually get more w/ spoons and jigs tipped w/ something.

Chubbys in the glow can be killer for crappies and sometimes is all I can get them to hit. Just try them out and give them enough time to learn how to use the lures.

Good Luck

I know you said you mostly fish for sunfish and crappies, but jigging raps and chubby darters can be great baits for perch too

I have used the small Nills Master Jiggin Shads for gills and crappies with great success.. Perch love em as well..

I always say, you can never have to many ice lures.. buy some!

Looks like I'll be shopping for some new lures this weekend, so the only question is if I get new lures, what do I need to bring home to my wife...? ha ha

Looks like I'll be shopping for some new lures this weekend, so the only question is if I get new lures, what do I need to bring home to my wife...? ha ha

A trip to the spa so you can get out and tie one on. wink

i have acutlly had really good luck on the chrome blue aswell. I caught a 12" crappie on a metro lake the other night on one. Tipped with waxies. Like others have said they work great at atrracting fish to your hole.

hey im new, so i dont really know how this works. I saw that you were from around the metro. I have been out to Bass lake and eagle lake. Not great. i was wondering were you have been fishing and if you have had any luck.

I like the smallest size in blue and crome. I will remove the treble hook and retie it as a 2" dropper below. Then tip the dropper with a red spike on each hook.

If the fish are realy agressive skip the dropper and just use the bait as intended.

crazyfishnguy, welcome to FM, it's a great place for tips and tricks and just to share experiences. I have only been out once this year down in Eden Prairie on a small lake, and caught 2 sunnies in the 30 minutes I was out (really just scouting, but it was great to get my ice line wet!). Anyways, look in the metro area forum that will give some info on some local lakes and what has been working!

Heard you were trying to get permission last night to pick up a couple more rod/reel combos as well. I put in a good word for you. Good luck.