• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pulling sled thru snow

Grainbelter

Pulls so easy even a little kid could do it grin

Yes sir, now that he has a few more pounds on him. He`ll be pulling even harder if he wants to go fishing. Just needs to

get a little taller before i teach him how to use the Auger. grin

I think I definately need to build something like this. Took my new otter cabin out today, planning on pulling it a little over a mile to a spot. It took me over an hour and I was absolutly dead after pulling it there. It was only about 5 inches of snow too. The thing was like a snow plow, I ended up having to pick up the front of it and hold it up while pulling. Time to start looking for some cheap skis! grin

The skis I have on that sled were picked up at a garage sale

back in 1978. Hard to believe they have been on 12 different home made sleds over all these years. And they still slide

fantastic.

Try looking at a Goodwill store or closeout store some.

Jim43,

I remember seeing other pictures of your set up either last winter or the winter before. I would like to see pictures of your sled again in more detail. Does it break down smaller when you get to you truck or does it stay that big all the time..........

I will try and search for it and if I find it I will link here, found it:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...he_s#Post949978

quick ? How did you mount the skis? I am building a sled for my 5600 and wondering about attaching the blocks to the skis. Did u just use some wood screws?

Drilled holes through the skies and countersunk them on the base.

Used 2.5 inch deck screws into the boards. Solid as a rock as long as your not overloading it.

You found it. That is pretty much all the photos I have of it to date. It does not break down at all though. I don`t need to.

Since I built it to fit inside the trailer. Trailer carries my 2

man Kayak during the summer.

Harness, longer rope, Hyfax runners and even out the weight with it slightly heavier towards the rear of the sled (pops the front end up a little so it doesn't plow the snow). Putting the auger head and propane tank towards the rear seemed to work well for me.

Another option are old flyer sleds, the ones with the skinny metal runners. They work great this time of year. Tall enough to get above the snow and the metal runners slide easy on the ice. New ones are very spendy ($90) and the old ones are collectable, but you can find them used fairly cheap ($20 or so) if you look around.

I also agree that longer pull ropes work well.

WOW, can I relate to this post! I went out to White Bear last night and had to drag the sled .3 mile......twelve breaks and 25 minutes later, i made it. Wow, am I old, and fat, and out of shape! Bigger lakes should have a 'Caddy Shop" I would pay a young lad $10 to drag my stuff.