• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pictures of my ice block puller-cheap to make.

BigRoy

Here are the pictures of the block puller. I make one hole with my auger off to one side of the block prior to using the saw for the hole.

The overall length is around 5.5' and could be made a bit longer to allow for more leverage. I had most of the parts laying around.

Just lift up on the rope to get the pipe down the hole, then pull up and the pipe catches the bottom of the hole and then just rank it out. Once the block is pulled out it rest on the cap ends and doent allow the block to freeze to the ice to badly.You can also drag the block around and tie your house to it to provide an anchor. When you are ready just jerk it up and drag it back to the hole and slide it back in. When the ice gets a little thicker you could angle your (fish of course ) saw towards the hole to create a ramp on one of the short sides. I might change the bottom pipe to a 16" pipe,I used a 12" and it poped out on me once. Seems to work pretty good.

206992579_o.jpg

206992749_o.jpg

206992990_o.jpg

Why is the rope on there?

The rope is one there to get to lift the pipe to get it down the hole. Once it down you pull on the top pipe to get it wedge againt the bottom of the hole. The rope also is lifted to make the pipe go vertical to get it back out of the hole when you are done. Make sense? If not I will shoot a video

a friend of mine does something very simalar, mostly for when the ice is 12 inches of thicker. He has the pipe on a chain. chain is 4ft long and is ajustable by the links.

pipe is 15 inches and only on one side. He drills a hole in the center then on two corners cuts the hole with a saw, then drops the chained pipe down and pulls it up and out with his winch on his 4wheeler and when he can drive his truck out he uses the hydrolics from snow plow pump. lifts up and backs up the truck. then sets the block on a couple pieces of wood.

Yeppers that makes sense now.

Especally if you decided you couldn't or didn't want to pull the block out after you had put the pipe down the hole.

I made one of these with a rope last year.

The rope broke I fell on my waazzoo and the pipe ended up in the bottom of the lake. laugh

I never thought of using a chain. crazy

I had one made of cable instead of chain. I had trouble getting enough leverage to lift the block out of the hole, but maybe if you could get the top handle right down against the ice, like you can with the chain, it would be better.