• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Elk Hunt

My buddy and i are thinkging about trying a public land hunt, we were thinkging about an OTC tag doesnt matter if its Cow or Bull, just trying something different. What are some areas with good public land opportunites and where we could at least see some elk. Were not trophy hunters just looking to hunt something different. Being in minnesota any help would be great. Thanks

I would recommend the Gravelly Range if you want to see lots of elk and trophy potential is not critical. Lots of nice animals, easy public access, no real threat of grizzlies. This is the area north of West Yellowstone and just east of the town of Ennis. Big, rolling hills, not real tough to hunt.

My second area would be the Madison range, from the west side. The Madison river divides the Gravely Range from the Madison range. The Taylors Fork area is the most beautiful country, but there are lots of bears. Head north into the wolf creel, indian creek and bear creek country and you will be into lots of elk, with a better trophy potential, but a little tougher hunting, terrain wise.

Lastly, the Fort Peck/CMR areas has a lot of elk, and its wide open breaks country. If you access by boat, you open up a huge area to hunt. A lot of guys from MN hunt this and it is now a draw only area. Some of the biggest bulls in Montana come from here and archer success ratio is very high.

Go to Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks web site for more info