• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help needed on 1994 s 10 blazer 4 wd

I am having trouble with my 4 wd i push the button it shows that it is in 4 wd drive and it also goes into 4 wd low but the fromt axles do not enguage any help would help I usally fix my own stuff I am thinking that it is some kind of switch I already checked the vacume lines .

If its the electrical one than there should be a fuse. If it is blown unplug the connector at the actuator on the axle. Replace the fuse and hit the 4x4 switch while monitoring the fuse. If the fuse does not blow reconnect the actuator, if it blows with it connected the actuator is bad. More often than not it is the electric actuator, but just don't replace it because you think so, its not difficult to check.

This is all off the top off my head. If I have something wrong one of the other guys will set us straight!!

I would do what Jer said first to see if it is the actuator.

If it is deemed the actuator and it is going to be awhile before you replace it, give it a couple taps/raps with the rubber mallet or hammer. Even if the fuse is not or does not blow, try this to see if you can get it working.

Heck, even try it with a vacuum operated actuator. Some times they stick inside and a couple good taps/raps with a hammer or mallet get them free and work them on and off a hand full of time and they will work for awhile until they freeze up again.

I think this happens when the 4x4 is not used for long periods of time (on F-series), or it could just be bad or something else. grin.

Good luck.

Its been a while, but isnt there a vacuum switch on the transfer case that controls the servo for the front diff that used to go bad fairly frequently? I know on the older ones it did, but I think it changed to the electric style in 1996?

Its easy to test, when you have the tranfer case in 4wd there should be vacuum at the servo. (It was located over by the battery if I remember correctly) If you have the switch in 4wd and put vacuum straight to the servo it should engage the front diff if thats the problem.

Had an 01 zr2 that had the vacuum actuator. it is over by the battery. the diaphram blew out on mine. I searched around and bought a posi-locker. It is a manually actuated lever mounted inside the cab.