• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me choose a fish house heater for a 6 x 8

ICD

Two options: $140 for a ventless 99% efficient model

$460 for a direct vent empire.

I want to be able to sleep in this house.

Some people have told me the ventless models will bake me out of there. Who has experience with these heaters?

If you 're sleeping, direct vent only. I would urge all to read the manual on these ventless heaters, they ALL say for supplemental heat only, they are NOT designed for primary heating, especially on a sleeping room.

Empire all the way!

We have had many makes and models in our rentals but the they all have Empires now. Great units that are tough as nails and never lets us down. Remember we move our skid houses every three days, thats alot of shaking and beatings handed out to furnace.

Another thing with ventless we found is the house never dries out. Why this is we are not sure but the vented just heats more evenely and are much safer.

My son has a ventless ceramic heater and I can only be in it a short time before I get a sore throat, my eyes burn, and I need to leave. He has a O2 sensor built into the furnace and says it does'nt bother him. Go direct vent for sure, I have a direct vent forced air furnace and like it alot. Just make sure you stuff some steelwool in the exhaust port to keep critters out during the off-season. Don't ask how I know what burning mice smell like.

i have a 6 1/2 x 8 and installed a StrikeMaster Handi-Heater i think it is 20,000 BTU and that cooks me out of there....Better best out there well "I" think anyway but they dont seem to make them anymore but like said above Vented is the only way to go!

Empire all the way!

Another thing with ventless we found is the house never dries out. Why this is we are not sure but the vented just heats more evenely and are much safer.

Propane has a lot of moisture in it, if it is not being vented to the outside it collects on the ceiling and walls.

empire are great heaters no doubt but they are very spendy.say $800 for a 30k btu? i just went to l & m and got a 20k btu for half the price.if i had the extra $800 when i buit my perm i would have bought an empire for sure.

just pulled my non vented heater out and put a vented, House Warmer made by Empire Comfort Systems, found at Menards. 18,000 BTU and it only cost me only $300 and comes with the vent.

I've only used it twice this year but like it much better and the heat seems more even from top to bottom.

One more vote for empire direct vent. I would not even think of a non vented if you intend to sleep plus the humidity created by the non vented unit will not allow the floor to dry out. I can have snow all over the floor making it wet and in a couple hours it will be dry with my empire direct vent 15000 btu (6.5 x12 house) You just set the thermostat to whatever temp you want and forget about it and fish.