• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best GPS for Vechical

bassNspear

Question

Im thinking of getting my wife one for Christmas, and started to do a little research on them, but there is sooooooooooo many out there.

Touch screens, Blue tooth all that stuff that im not sure is worth the money.

Im sure some of you have them! What have you seen or heard about this units! What brands are the best to buy and what brands are the ones to stay away from!

Thanks

20 answers to this question

I live by Garmin. The Nuvi's are awesome. If you looking to save money, skip the Bluetooth and the MSN reciever. That stuff can just be overkill. I have that extra stuff in my work truck but skipped it in my personal vehicle. Great touch screen and easy to use. Look around on the internet to find some good deals on them.

my XOG with lakemaster is a blast. It gives me directions and shows me bottom contours! Can't wait to use it for icefishing! Its touchscreen and there's also an annoying lady talking to you trying to give you directions. It also plays mp3 with a chip.

battery life is really bad if unplugged though. You can get one for $170 or less now. I paid 220.

DWMB,

How far can you zoom in (feet wise) with the Lakemaster chip in the XOG?

I believe it is 12':1/2".

The XOG is a nice unit, but it does seem buggy at times (problems locating satellites, dropped all graphics except major roads while out of state with MN Lakemaster card)

Lowrances customer service is atrocious. I bought my XOG in April 2008. I updated the firmware right away...errrr...I thought I updated the firmware. My firmware actually regressed to an earlier version and was painfully slow to update. I called Lowrance to ask [PoorWordUsage] only to be on hold for 30 minutes, if not longer. I then was left with the option of hanging up or leaving a message. I left a message for Lowrance to call me and their voice recording said they would call within the next business day. They call back about three days later. I missed the call so that meant I was back to calling and being on hold for 30 minutes or so. I then redid the firmware upgrade on my own to give it another shot. This time Lowrance had the correct firmware file on their HSOforum to download.

About a month ago or so, my XOG displayed a message a couple of times indicating my Navteq map data was out of date. I go to Lowrance to grab an update. No update to be found on Lowrance. I go t Navteq in search of an update. Lowrance isn't listed as a vendor. I gave up at this point because it was wasting my time.

Garmin leads the way in GPS by a far leap. There operating programs and on line extras make upgrades easy and for many upgrades free. Costumer service is the best in the industry by far, register and you in, email concerns and they are back to you in a day, or less, phone in and alive person will deal with you every time. Great service!

Garmin is also now seamless with Google Earth, and has more plans to come for expanded lake maps and software computability.

My hard earned bucks are best spent on Garmin.

Just got the Tomtom 1 130 for my father. I did the updates and the test run on it today. I am totally impressed by it. Even in my basement I was getting 8 sats. Has voice and correction mode and is real visible. I have seen them online for $148

Also looking for a GPS for the car and have been looking at the Garmin units. I have read good reviews on the Garmin units but noticed that it only gives you one warning as you approach your turn/exit. Is there a way to change the setting on the Garmin units so that it notifies you more than once when you are coming up to a turn/exit? I would like to find one that notifies you multiple times as you approach your turn with a final notice (turn here). I can't remember which brand of does that. Any recommendations?

I have read good reviews on the Garmin units but noticed that it only gives you one warning as you approach your turn/exit. Is there a way to change the setting on the Garmin units so that it notifies you more than once when you are coming up to a turn/exit?

Maybe its based on speed or something, but mine usually says something like "turn right in 400 feet" then a pause and as I get to the intersection it then says "turn right". I'll have to pay more attention the next time I use it and see if speed changes anything.

Also, If you should miss a turn, it lets you know very quickly and recalculates another route or finds a place to turn you back.

My next one will be a XOG because of the ability to except a chip like a Lakemaster. Dual purpose. Can mount it in a boat as well. I think its the only one that does take a chip.

Plus the price is nice. Averaging about $149 now.

Both of my delivery trucks have the garmin nuvi 200. Great price, and works great 92% of the time.

I'm looking at the 255w for my wife, she works as a hospice nurse and has to travel to a lot of out of the way places. What's with the 8%? And any opinions on the 255w? I thought the wider screen would be easier to see (starting to get a little old and the eyes aren't what they used to be.)