• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spilled gas in portable

mozy

So I get to the lake today and realize that the gas for my auger spilled all over my fish house. There was a good half inch covering the bottom of the sled. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the gas and the smell? I'm at school now, otherwise I would have access to a pressure washer. I'm thinking get it drained and wash/wipe it out? Should I worry about using a heater in it now? Some of the canvas was sitting in it, don't feel like having my brand new house go up in flames.

No experience to comment from specifically, but I think I would take it to a self serve car wash and soap the [PoorWordUsage] out of it. Then try to set it up in a heated garage or something and let it dry.

Auger gas is usually mixed with oil so there may be some residue that won't evaporate. Hopefully the soap will help take care of that.

Good Luck. What a bummer.

To clean up the liquid gas in the bottom I would use floor dry. It is for cleaning up oil and such from garage floors. It is kinda like kitty litter but more absorbant. As for the fumes you will need to air it out for quite some time.

good luck....I dumped some gas in the bed of the truck last year and tried to clean it out and also put coffee beans to soak up the smell......the smell never left until summer when I took it to a car wash for the 3rd time and cleaned it with soap and water twice and let it dry out for a few days......

I'm thinking the car wash is the only way to go. I live in an apartment and don't have a garage. I have access to agsorb and a heated garage back home, but I won't be there until Christmas. I think I'll try the car wash, wipe it out as good as possible, and leave it in the back of my truck to try get it aired out.

I second the dawn dish soap. That stuff will disolve almost any type grease or oil and takes the gas smell off your hands pretty well if you get gas on them. Get the original stuff not the antimicrobial or other nonsense.

I favor soaking up the gas with a disposable 100% cotton towel or rag. Then soap with warm water and Dawn. Then air-out for a while. Hang the rag outside for a few days to let the gas air out before you dispose.

Please use caution when soaking up the gas from your portable. Plastic or nylon (sled or fabric) can easily build up a charge when you rub it or wipe it down. A static spark could cause a small explosion. No joke. Keep things well ventilated, and don't create any unnecessary friction. Also, try and keep the sled on concrete, that will help dissipate the static charge. Nothing to fool around with.