• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little on Ice Humor

croixeyes

So today I was stressing a little as I am a courier and the christmas rush has started early. It was around 4pm when I was driving by a small lake.On the ice I saw 1 guy,he was tipup fishing,But I saw him walking away from his tipups towards the only other shack on the lake about 150yards away.I thought,Oh he is probably gonna see how the other guy is doing.Thats when I noticed what I assume was his dog,a lab walking towards him from the shack with a pretty good sized fish in his mouth laugh.As I drove past laughing at the situation The guy in the shack came out and started walking towards the dog.I hope they both had a good laugh,I gotta get me one of those retreivers.

Thats good...and he didn't even have to swim for it....thankfully wink

By the way Burbot is a common name, as is eelpout and they are the same fish...same family and everything but they may call something else an eelpout in some other part of the country....thus its scientific name is Lota lota

thought you were asking what a burbot was!

Nope. I am quite familiar with pout as my fishing partner always seems to catch them. My comment was a failed attempt to inject some humor. For those that didn't get the humor, to me it would be slightly funny to have your canine retrieve garbage fish such as a pout instead of a nice 16" walleye.

Originally Posted By: walleye-
thought you were asking what a burbot was!

Nope. I am quite familiar with pout as my fishing partner always seems to catch them. My comment was a failed attempt to inject some humor. For those that didn't get the humor, to me it would be slightly funny to have your canine retrieve garbage fish such as a pout instead of a nice 16" walleye.

What the heck are you talking about? Garbage fish? I would take a pout over a walleye ANY day. I hate it when people leave eelpout on the ice. pout are a member of the cod family, ie, thats what they taste like.

I had a beagle run off once with a full pack of frozen smelt that I had just purchased for some tip up ice fishing. I didn't find it humorous or get a laugh out of it. There were lots of fishermen around but nobody claimed the beagle bandit. He probably ended up with some digestive issues later on if he ate all of them anyway.

~piker

I had a beagle run off once with a full pack of frozen smelt that I had just purchased for some tip up ice fishing. I didn't find it humorous or get a laugh out of it. There were lots of fishermen around but nobody claimed the beagle bandit. He probably ended up with some digestive issues later on if he ate all of them anyway.

~piker

Yeah, and the owner probably ended up having to hire a carpet cleaner.

A few years back I was fishing sunnies on Lake Independence and doing OK. We were throwing our fish outside the house on the ice. We decided it was time to make a count to see haw many we had. (We thought about 15 or so by now). When we looked outside there were only two fish left. We were puzzled. About 15 minutes later a guy comes over and apologises and told us that his lab had eaten our fish. He then says "if it's any consolation, he just threw them all up in my fish house!!". He was embarrased and felt bad. We were OK with it and got a good laugh out of it.

Great story... We sucker fish up on swan river by warba, my brothers dog likes to carry them around and play them to death.

I love smoked white sucker...gotta catch them up north though.

Eel Pout is good in my opinion, I think people tend to write off fish because they are ugly. Love Bullheads too, In an honest taste test, I'd say both are between cod and trout. I think tullibee get a bad rap too, man I love them! Not even smoked I love them. Cooking them right sure helps too!