• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Rod

Whipped up this new stick last night. I picked up a few of the Jason Mitchell meat stick ice rods and they are very nice! But they are only offered in a 27 inch model and I like my panfish rods much shorter. So I took and cut one down to 21 inches and built a new handle. Any shorter than that and you loose the "fast action" these rods have. Actually I cut another down to 24 inches and that rod has a nicer action than the 21 incher - atleast for my preference...

Went with a 5 inch handle blend of cork, craft foam cut into rings, and rubberized cork...

pc082528sr6.jpg

A little two-part epoxy between each ring and into a simple clamp i made...

pc082531wz8.jpg

After that off to the lathe, sorry forgot to take picts of this. If you dont have a lathe you could rig a hand drill or drill press. Or much easier - just buy a premade handle butt setion in the length you want. Thorne Brothers also offers handles already made.

I didnt do much for a fancy butt wrap as the blank diameter is so small it is a pain to try much. I just covered up the spot where I had to cut the first guide off and added a super small single foot fly guide for a hook-keeper...

pc092552hi7.jpg

I'll glue the handle tonite and put some finish on the thread and she'll be ready to fish... Beat up "man hands" and all cool

pc092537kf8.jpg

I also picked up some Thorne Brothers "powernoodle" blanks that i'll be building here soon. Aswesome rod and blank for sure...

Nice!!! I have a few ice rod blanks laying around, perhaps I should turn off the tv and go down and build a couple wink

I need to contact my vendor to see what they have laying around for a laker rods. I am hoping to give that a whirl and what I have now will just not take the heavy jigs needed for that.

Actually I cut another down to 24 inches and that rod has a nicer action than the 21 incher - atleast for my preference...

I can't wait to see the 24" thanks pal. It will look great with my new Pfleuger. The comfort cork handle and taper is ideal, it looks extremely comfortable in the photo. Nice work..