• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cordless drill w/ auger

nollidsdad

I was out with Aceinthehole last year and he had one. It works good. I wouldn't want to go through 24 inches with it, but it works. It takes it's toll on the drill and your batteries aren't going to last a long time. If you do a lot of hole hopping, not a good choice. But if you just like to get out on early or late ice and punch a few holes it will serve it's purpose.

Have you ever had a bit loosen up while driving a screw, or backing one out? Same thing can happen to the auger adapter, only you may not notice until after the auger drops down the hole. Trust me, it's not fun to retrieve!

Son has one on a Makita 18v with the good litheum batteries. Can do 12-15 holes per battery in 12-14 inches. Must be run in granny gear to avoid overheating drill, plus on higher speeds tends to hop and not bite in. Quicker than hand auger, quieter than gas, I give it a thumbs up for early ice (If you already own a good drill/batteries and have the hand auger).

I also saw that on a fishing show over the weekend. I've been reading reviews for the last couple of days. PROS: light weight, no gas, good for early ice(maybe 6-12 in), quiet, no exhaust fumes in your shack, inexpensive assuming you have 18V cordless drill and hand auger ($15-$18 for the adapter). CONS: cannot drill many holes per battery(varies by conditions), works best on smaller diameter augers, strain on wrist(people said they had to be very careful at the end of the hole as the auger has a tough time breaking the last bit of ice), probably should buy or make a handle to stabilize and prevent auger from falling down hole, also, some people had to grind the piece that fits in the chuck for a better grip.

I have not personally tried this but think I'm going to.

I agree with hoverman.Look pretty bad just holding your drill.I would look for the kind that have bars on them,to keep them from going down hole.I will never use my drill this way.Tools cost too much the way it is. grin