• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird or Vexilar?

Hey guys just curious if anybody has used the new hummingbird flashers. I was at Bass Pro last night looking at a new Fl 20 and they showed me the Hummingbird Ice 45. I really like the features the ice 45 has and its about 100 bucks cheaper. I have a fl 8 now and I have some interfernce problems fishing in deeper water. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Everyone will have a different opinion, but I say buy a Lowrance all in one unit. I have the LMS 522 and for a some extra money you get a lot more than just the flasher mode.

Yes, the instantaneous readout is good, but these have readouts with current blips and what happened say, 30 seconds ago too. That makes it easier to see what happened next to whats happening. Also, the unit comes with GPS for marking spots and has split screen features and a place for the map card. This and similar models have plenty of power to fish even the deepest lakes and pick up your bait up to 300 feet down.

Do yourself a favor and compare the features you can afford with Lowrance versus the other products you mentioned and see where your money is best spent.

FYI, for ice fishing, price out a base unit (comes with ice-ducer and the ice machine (basically a bracket, battery, and zip-up case. I use mine in the boat the rest of the year and while in the car driving to new lakes using gps.

You cannot go wrong with any of the three major flsher companies. They all make great units and all will make you a better fisherman. LCD graphs are another option. Those seem to be the exception rather than the rule for ice fishing however.

Nothing about reliability. I am just saying that flashers (vex, Marcum and now Hummingbird) seem to be more popular than graphs in the winter. I have always used a Vexilar of some sort. I am not saying a graph/LCD doesn't work as well. I am just saying you don't see them as often on the ice.

Ok, clear. I vote less equipment with more function if the guy is just starting out with electronics. One thing I love about the graph is where the fish blob is and where the fish blob was on the screen. It's almost as good as a camera.

BTW the Hummingbird Ice 45 has 1800 watts of power. A comparably priced Lowrance will have up to 2400 watts. Compare specs with a Lowrance X125 or X59DF. The FL20 only has 400 watts of power. You will lack enough power with that one to pick up a deep bait or read water depths over 100ft!

Go with the Marcum LX-5 with 2500 watts. I have nothing against using your summer flasher in fact have thought about using mine for ice to since its color and gps. But I use the Expedition handheld and the LX for ice and put the LX on the bow for summer use. My summer finders to expensive to risk damaging on the ice.

I agree with your last comment EM, I have never owned a Vexilar, just because I happened to buy a Marcum first, many of my friends do though, so I have used them, I do own two Marcum's the LX3tc and the LX5, although they are my flasher of choice, nothing bad can come from some new competition... as a matter of fact, I will be on the ice with a new Humminbird to get my own personal opinion!!! I can't say for sure if I will like it, love it, or chose to stay with what I have, but I do like the chance to try! Who knows guys, things may only get better with the added competition?????? If ya see me on the ice in the lakes, stop by say hi and give it a look for yourself!

I have given the Birds a serious look in the bait store, (while I can't afford one) I would love to get one out on the ice and see how the do.

If I were in the market for a new flasher, I would go with either Marcum or Vex, only because they have been proven over time, the Bird's may as well be a great flasher, but I would wait a few years.

Thanks for all the replies I still havent made up my mind yet but I am leaning more toward the humminbird. I was looking at a Lowrance too but I alreday have a gps so I dont really need that.I still have a little time to decide we are just starting to get enough ice down here. Was out today with 4" on a small Trout stocked pond it felt great to get on the ice, but I cant wait to head up north. I will let you know what I decide and how it works.

i have an fl8 and was just for the kicks of it was askin a guy at sportsmans bout the hummingbird. first of all its cheaper than an fl8, has all the nice gadgets of the nicer vexilars, and you will never get rejection because it is on a different channel or whatever haha..if i were to buy one today i would get the hummingbird. just my 2cents

I have given the Birds a serious look in the bait store, (while I can't afford one) I would love to get one out on the ice and see how the do.

If I were in the market for a new flasher, I would go with either Marcum or Vex, only because they have been proven over time, the Bird's may as well be a great flasher, but I would wait a few years.

If your at the GTG on the 20th I will let you try out my Humminbird ice 35 if you havent used one by then. My vote is for humminbird you get a lot for the money with the ICE 35

Esox I am from Council Bluffs its near omaha, ne I would love to make it up there and give it a shot I have never fished there and I drive by there a couple times a year going to our cabin near willmar, mn. We Have been wanting to fish the IGL's for awhile so I will let you know if we head up there.

Just retired my Vex. it was starting to sound like it had a bearing going out, and would stop spinning once in a while till I gave it a little kick or slap. But it was over 10 years old. I went with the himminbird ice 45, so far I have loved it. Great screen to look at and when checking depths for scouting I like the digital depth read-out. While looking at them in the store I turnedn on the vex and the humminbird and the bird was a lot quieter. Good luck on your choice.

I really wanted the HB 45 but got gun shy, bought a showndown last year and had nothing but trouble with it,new technology I guess.Went with the FL20 instead just because it's proven and plan on putting it in the boat next spring.