• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who are you and what's in the bag?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've entertained the idea of a DSLR, but I don't know if I'm ready for one. Or if I really need one.

Well, call me a liar. I bought one yesterday. I couldn't resist the day after Christmas sales. I picked up an Olympus E-410 complete with a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm lens for under $400.00. I took it for a test drive this afternoon and I liked what I experienced. First thing that I noticed right away was the speed. Focus speed and shutter lag are nearly non existent. I'm gonna have fun with this machine.

eyeguy54? Are you talking about Kakabecka Falls. I've got some shots somewhere. If I can't find them. I'll take some new shots.

A shot with the new machine from today.

squawbay4.jpg

I've been shooting off and on since 1970. Started with a Praktica, then used Nikon film stuff until the D200 was released. I owned all the usual Nikon film suspects: several Nikkormats, F, F2, FM, FM2 (best film camera I ever owned), Nikkor lenses, including a 600 5.6. I made the jump to digital with the D200 and later added a Nikon D1x and D300. (BTW -- one of the best bargains in digital photography today is the D1x. I've seen great ones go for $400.) Anyway . . .

In the bag*, which is located in Woodbury:

Canon 2n

Canon 5D

500 IS

300 2.8 non-IS

135 f2

35 1.4

17-40

1.4x and 2.0x cheaters

500D closeup lens

430EX flash

Gitzo 1320

Sidekick

Manfrotto 631

1991 Chevy van to haul it all around.

*Note: this phrase occasionally can be applied to the photographer. In this usage, however, it refers to a carrying device(s).

Welcome John! Why the switch from hardcore Nikon to the other guys?

I wanted image stabilization in long lenses. When I'd put my 1.4x on the manual focus Nikon 600, I'd mount it on a ballhead/Sidekick, pile bags full of niger seed on top, use the best technique I could muster, brace everything, hold my breath, and I still had problems with shake. Heck, when I'd press my face up against the camera, I could see my pulse. I even tried the old sniper's trick of shooting between heartbeats. Add a small tremor I get in my right hand when it gets tired, and I lost a lot of pics. (Plus, I'm really lousy at manual focusing.) I wanted an AF 500 or 600, but it didn't look like Nikon was ever going to put VR in their long lenses, so I switched to Canon. After the 1DIII debacle and the D3 and D300 came out, I almost went back to Canon, but Nikon wanted $7,500 for the 500VR. I've rationalized myself into doing all sorts of expensive/silly things in my life, but I just couldn't do that.

I don't own a bag yet but my camera is on the way. My name is Brad and I used to shoot film when I was in high school and college. I'm into golf, duck hunting, fishing, and just about every other expensive hobby you can get into so I never updated the camera.

I have a Nikon D40 on the way.

Included will be

18-55 Kit lens

55-200 4-5.6 AF-S VR

It's a a start and I plan on sharpening my skills once again. I've got plenty of "subjects" in my backyard here in Eagan. In the last year I've seen deer, turkeys, coyotes, owls, eagles, mallards, woodies, and plenty of feeder birds to keep me busy.

I used to hop on here to check fishing reports. I always come to the photography page first now.