• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who are you and what's in the bag?

I also appreciate some of the tips I've received in the past on this forum. Every now and then I have a question, or problem, and this is a quick place to get an answer. So, I'm peaking in here from time to time.

I did illustration/fine art 15 years, strictly fine art 6 years. Fine art is a tough industry right now (not just because the current economy): galleries closing, publishers selling, trade publications gone. I'm still mostly shooting slide film, except for my Olympus Styles 770 SW. I have to go digital soon; probably will after my twins boys and their younger brother get through with braces, or MMMYYY industry gets a "bailout."

Nikon N90S

Nikon 35-70mm, 2.8

Nikon ED 70-300, 4-5.6

Nikon ED 80-200. 2.8

Some non-photographic info: I just got a new piece of foot warming equipment for under my drawing board...an American Water Spaniel pup, she's sleeping at my feet now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all for sharing so far ...

I am Kevin Yopp, Grand Rapids, MN. Shooting photos/video of construction equipment for Caterpillar, ASV and now Terex for the past 24 years. It's always a pleasure to find something in nature other than a "Cat" to point the camera towards. And I SINCERELY look forward to when I have more time to shoot nature rather than equipment. You won't find many uploads from me yet, I primarily look to enjoy YOUR collective works - which I often find humbling.

Nikon D100 & D300

70-200 VR

12-24

24-120

Various other stuff ...

Some great folks here! Its very nice to see there is a wide range of experiences to share! For those sharing your work...a big thank you to each one of you. For those just enjoying...thank you as well. I hope you are comfortable in posting your work one day as well.

Wow! Gone a couple of days and this forum goes crazy! smile

My name is Carolyn, and I live near Cottonwood, MN. I am a stay at home mom, farm wife, and county president of a farm organization. I have always admired beautiful photos, no matter the subject. I am still learning how to best compose a photo, and am trying not to be afraid of the manual setting.

I typically take photos of my kid's activities, which covers mostly sports and school concerts. I also like old houses and farming subjects - both old and new.

I still carry around my Canon S2IS for the macro and super macro capabilities, along with:

Canon Rebel XT (thanks CFRay)

Canon 55-250 IS

Canon 35-80

Canon Speedlite 430EX (Thanks X)

a cheap tripod

a gorilla pod for the S2IS

a cheap monopod

My hubby doesn't quite understand the need for a ton of equipment (like a wide angle lens), but then I don't understand why he needs 5 sets of wrenches, either. grin

Thanks to those that have responded so far. This has been a great thread. Is it me or is there an awful lot of teachers and ex-teachers here? Wierd.

I've found it interesting that Aside from me there has only been mention of one other Sigma lens I think. I wonder why that is. I am very happy with my Siggies. Maybe it's because most of what's been posted is Canon and I shoot Nikon. Nikon glass seems to be a little more expensive than the same Canon glass. I'm not sure why that is or why so many here shoot Canon but whatever floats your boat right. grin

Thanks again and keep posting everyone!

MM, the largest share of digital camera owners worldwide shoot Canon. Just the way the market has worked out, so it's no surprise there'd be more Canon shooters in here.

As for why there aren't more Siggie owners in here, I don't know. Siggie and a couple Tamron lenses are excellent options for good quality images out to 400 and 500mm for less jing than top Nikon and Canon L glass. I've actually got several clients who shoot the Siggie 100-300 f2.8L, the 50-500 and new 150-500 OS, and two clients who shoot the Tamron 200-500. Only one of those is Nikon shooter.

Probably you are right, though. With good used Canon 100-400L IS lenses selling for around $1,100, it's relatively inexpensive to get to 400mm and still have Canon L glass compared with buying some of the lenses mentioned new.

A little research turned up the following numbers for whatever it is worth. 2007 figures show worldwide numbers of Canon at 43%, Nikon 40% but more telling is Canon lost 5% in 05 and 4% in 06. Nikon gained 7% in the same time period. We could easily see Nikon be the leader in 2008.

I've been taking photos a lot longer then I care to think about. My first camera was a box Brownie. Since then I've gone through a lot of different cameras.

Presently I have

A nikon F

NIkon D80

Nikon d90

Canon point and shoot

Olympus point and shoot

50 mm f 1.4 nikkor

18-105 nikkor

18-135 nikkor (my wifes favorite lens)

70-300 nikkor

105 sigma macro

50-500 sigma

manfrotto tripod

manfrotto monopod

way to many filters and gadgets

it all goes in a Tramrac backpack that fully loaded just about

brings me to my knees

Way to much stuff, but photography is the most fun you can have standing up

Thanks to those that have responded so far. This has been a great thread. Is it me or is there an awful lot of teachers and ex-teachers here? Wierd.

We have to do something to keep our sanity!!!

Josh from Hutchinson. I moved to Hutch in the spring but still work in the Cities. The commute has really cut into my picture taking time. But I do hope to get out with mmeyer some this winter. I really enjoy taking pictures of waterfowl.

Here is my bag:

Nikon D50

Sigma 170-500mm

Tamron 75-300 Macro (Hardly Use)

Nikon 28-80mm kit lens

Paul from Moorhead. Been taking picutres for better than 20 years. Started with a 35mm minolta sr101 fully manual. I actually had to learn to use a light meter when I was like 10 years old. I did some photography for 4h projects with my Dad's camera. Got my own shorlty there after. I do it for fun 90% of the time and 10% I do it for cash or barter.

In my bag currently:

Canon XTi

Canon EFS 17-85 IS USM

Canon EF 28-80

Sigma 28-85 macro

Canon 100-400L IS USM

Bogen Manfroto Tripod

Bogen Manfroto Monopod

Polorizer filters for each lense.

Canon Remote Switch

I take a lot of nature, landscape and nightime photos. I also do pet photography of your pets in your home either with or without the human in the picture. Lots of kids and dogs or cats. SPent a few years on a Geneology kick and went out and snaped photos of every grave stone I could find in our family tree, took me all over ND, MN, IA, OK, MO, and had help from my friends in Norway.

I also take a lot of photos of work things. I am a Custom Home Theatre installer and like to keep track of the really nice jobs,

That is about it you can learn more about my photography at my online photo galler at www.pbase.com/paulhagen

My name is Matt and I currently live in Madison, WI. I used to live in the Twin Cities and never imagined leaving, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to start a company with a couple of professors I knew from the UW. Hopefully we'll have a new cancer treatment tool in the hands of physicians before too long. My only complaint is I don't have near enough time for photography and sharing with you guys on this wonderful forum. I've had my camera for one year and 6 days. I enjoy taking pictures of anything that gets me out in the wilderness, but I've found myself photographing pets, family events, and sports more than anything else. The photos and knowledge shared here is really inspiring.

What's in the old back-pack:

Canon 20D

Sigma 70-210 f2.8 (only works at f2.8 with digital bodies)

Canon 18-55 kit lens

Canon 35-80 (old kit lens I picked up with a Rebel G for $5 at a garage sale)

Mamiya 50 f2 w/ M42 to EOS adapter (found the lens in a "free" box at a garage sale)

An old SLIK tripod of unknown model

As you can see, I basically went dumpster diving to scrounge together my lens collection, so I'm seriously considering springing for a 17-40L, or something in the 400 mm range. (After all, Canon L glass has been a better performing investment than the stock market, so honey, I'm just trying to preserve our money. grin)

Hopefully we'll have a new cancer treatment tool in the hands of physicians before too long. My only complaint is I don't have near enough time for photography and sharing with you guys on this wonderful forum.

Well, I'd have to say, your priorities are definitely in the right place. Pictures can wait, people with cancer can't. I sincerely wish you guys the best.

I'm seriously considering springing for a 17-40L, or something in the 400 mm range. (After all, Canon L glass has been a better performing investment than the stock market, so honey, I'm just trying to preserve our money. grin)

Matt, sounds like you've got it figured out just right! gringringrin

Since you have zoom capability to and a bit past 200mm, along with the 17-40 I'd recommend the Canon 400 f5.6L and a sturdy monopod and tripod to stabilize it. It doesn't have image stabilization, but is tack sharp, and since you already have some zoom capability you don't need to spring the extra jing for the Canon 100-400L.

This assumes, of course, that you are on a budget. If you're not, that Canon 400 f2.8L is one sweet muthah! But not so light! gringrin

The 17-40 and 400 f5.6 would run you about $1,800 new, but I do some business on a Canon photo site with a very active buy and sell board, and a very reliable one. You can save probably $200 or $300 by buying lightly used. If you feel like you're getting in the market, shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you the info on the site.

Just stirring the pot a little, friend. smilesmile

Great idea Mike! I've enjoyed all the entries so far.

I live in Oakdale, we have a cabin on Birch Lake just outside Hackensack. I retired in June - from a position as an Early Childhood Speech Education Coordinator, speech therapist originally. I love being retired -

I've been taking pictures since I was about 8 or 10 - yes, back in the Eisenhower days! We shot a lot of slides in the early 70's with a Minolta 35mm. (Gotta get those babies digitized one of these days!) I got pretty busy raising kids and working, but got back into photography again in the past 4 or 5 years. I've had a couple of Olympus film cameras and then in about 2001, I got a Canon Powershot S110 Digital Elph 2.1 mp. I was a digital convert! I got a Digital Rebel about 3 years ago and upgraded to a used 30D last spring. I think I'll be keeping this body for the foreseeable future, but I am saving my pennies for a longer lens...

My favorite subjects are my grandkids - any kids really - wildlife, travel & outdoor scenes. I read this thread just about every day, I learn so much from all the regular contributors, in addition to simply enjoying the wonderful images! I'm also fascinated by old photographs, seeing images of my Mom or Dad or grandparents and getting a glimpse of their everyday lives "back in the day" never fails to amaze me.

In my little brain, photography has 2 main purposes: to capture and share the beauty of the world and people around us & to document life. Some of my favorite photographic accomplishments are not a single picture, but books I've made of images documenting vacations and special events.

Currently in my kit -

Canon 30D

Tameron 28-300mm f/3.5-6/3

Canon 50 mm f/1.8

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS (My very favorite!)

Kenko 1.4 extender

Lumiquest soft screen diffuser

Quantaray tripod

Olympus Stylus 720 Waterproof Point & Shoot

HP Photosmart R857 Point & Shoot

a bunch of memory cards, several filters, the 30D manual!

- and I'm not above using the camera in my phone if I need to!

My name is Mike. I currently live in Detroit Lakes. Just moved here this summer from Duluth. I'm mostly into wildlife photography, especially waterfowl. In the bag:

Canon 40D w/ grip

Canon Rebel XT

Canon f/4 17-40L

Canon f/4 70-200L

Canon 100-400L

Canon 1.4x

Canon Speedlite 430EX

Manfrotto 680B Monopod

Manfrotto 3021B Tripod

Manfrotto Ballhead (I forget which one)

Manfrotto Swivel-Tilt Monopod Head

Jobu Design Black Widow Gimbal Head

Canon Remote Shutter Release

Canon Off Camera Flash Cord

Various filters

That's all I can think of right now. Pretty much covers it. Saving up for a 500 f/4!

John here,...I've been into nature/wildlife photography for many years and have always enjoyed trying to capture "that moment" of those special times in the field...Born and raised here on the Iron Range with a brief stint in New Hampshire a few years back...kids are grown up and gone...just my wife and I here now in Hibbing...will be retiring in a couple years (well maybe depending on the economy..lol!)....I am somewhat of a "tinkerer" by nature and have designed and sold a few different outdoor related items going back into the early 80's....I designed and sold camp fire rings for the state, federal, and army corps of engineers camp grounds (the cast iron square universally adjustable fire grate on the 2" moveable steel post still in use today at many campgrounds)....also designed an ice fishing rod holder(The Ice Molly) a few years back (sold through out northern Minnesota at various retailers)....I guess I'm still known as one of the primary "point and shoot" users on the site with the addition of digiscopeing to my photography....not big dollar items by no means but gets the job done...I guess I take personal pride knowing one can take a "lesser" technology and still get some pretty decent results....and enjoyment in the process....No doubt I'll be adding to the camera/equipment list as time passes as we all do...

what's in "the case":

Fuji s5000: 6meg(my first digital that realy got me started)

Fuji s9000: 9 meg (more of a "bridge camera" between the SLR and Dslr

Panasonic Lumix FS18:(the camera I'm currently taking the majority of everyday images)

Nikon ED50 Digiscope:...Uses Nikon P4 8.1meg camera attached to a 2,016 mm.lensed spotting scope with special adaptors and remote shutter release...

bogen/manfrotto window mount

bogen/manfrotto tilt/pan tripod

A ton of various smaller tripods, filters, adaptors, camera cases

Thanks, John Sikkila

Well I might as well as my information also... My name is Robert and I am from Little Rock, Iowa. I have been interested in photography ever since I was a young boy. My first camera was a Kodak Pocketmatic 110 kit. It was about 10 years ago that I purchased my first 35 mm camera which was a Pentax K1000 with all of the extra lenses. I took a black and white photography class where I fell in love with dark room procedures and the art of composing photos. The question is not what I have in the bag but what I have in the BAGS... I cannot seem to let go of any of my equipment since I may need it again someday. lol. Anyway, here is my list:

Canon Rebel XT 35mm with kit lense

Canon Rebel XTi digital body

Canon Rebel XSi digital body

Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm F/4 - 5.6 Di lense

Tamron AF 28 - 80 mm lense

Tamron 1.4X AF teleconverter

2 Promaster Flashes

Numerous lense filters

2 Promaster tripods

Several studio lights...

alot of odds and ends

Numerous lense filters

After taking my son's senior portraits I was asked to take wedding photographs for a young couple thus creating the beginning of my photography business. At the time I was only using 35mm film but I thought that since this was a special occasion that I should have a back up camera. The Canon Rebel XTi was supposed to be that back up camera... After using it for about a month before the wedding I decided that digital was the format of choice.

Since this time I have shot numerous senior portraits, another wedding, and many outdoor shots.

I enjoy checking in on this HSOforum and have a great time meeting new friends here that share similar interests. I look forward to chatting with you and learning about your techniques and suggestions...

Thanks,

I'm fairly new here and I just stumbled upon this thread, so here goes. My real name is Dan Collins and I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada. I got bit by the photography bug when digital came of age. I started out with a Fuji 4700Z, a 2.4 mp beast that cost me a fortune compared to todays prices. I went out and shot and shot and shot with that little camera until I wore it out. I decided that I wanted something better and did a lot of on line research. The Sony 717 seemed to be the camera of the day. So I bought one. My 717 gave me great results. I became a Sony camera fan because of this little gem, and when Sony introduced it's new high zoom series cameras, I moved up to the H1. I shot with the H1 for a year or so and one day I dusted off my 717 and took it for a drive. I fell back in love with my 717. I now only use my H1 when I need a long zoom. That was a year and a half ago. Through lots of reading and trial and error, I learned how to shoot manual. It's amazing just what you can do with f stops and shutter speeds. I've entertained the idea of a DSLR, but I don't know if I'm ready for one. Or if I really need one. It certainly has it's advantages in the right situations. I'm sure that I'll buy one eventually. But for now I'm happy with my 7 year old 5 mp, 5 x optical zoom Sony 717. By the way, I just had a 30" x 20" enlargement made from this camera and it came out fantastic.