• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Double Sunflower Mr. Heater

gonehunting

This may sound extreme but has anyone ever used the double sunflower heater in a portable fishhouse. I have an Otter Magnum Lodge and I like it toasty when I am fishing. My cooker does very well but was looking for just a little more heat when it is below zero. Would this unit put out too much carbon monoxide to get rid of with the small vents?

I have used a double sunflower in my Otter Lodge and I found it to be a little too big to deal with... and a burn risk when going in or out if your not careful. I have found my Mr.Cooker to do the job as well. I have used a Mr.Buddy heater on those really frosty days w/ the Mr.Cooker to keep it really toasty. I dont really think I would be worried about Carbon Monoxide poisioning if your'e going in and out once in awhile.

Hey,

That heater will use the oxygen up pretty fast plus the problem I experienced with that heater is that when you really need the high double-head heat-- the propane is so cold that it doesn't generate enough pressure to kick-out the BTUs you want.

bangNbulls

Take the 3 position vale off your cooker and add a valve off a torch. I have had mine set up like this for 20 years and allows you infinate control. Lower than the stock low and way higher than stock high. I think I have the regulator set for around 20,000 BTU but can go higher.

Take the 3 position vale off your cooker and add a valve off a torch. I have had mine set up like this for 20 years and allows you infinate control. Lower than the stock low and way higher than stock high. I think I have the regulator set for around 20,000 BTU but can go higher.

could you post a pic of this? or send it to me? what kind of torch valve are you talking? propane torch?

While replacing the 3 position valve with a torch valve will give you more heat control but its not a good idea.

The Low setting on the heater is the minimum you should go. If you go lower your not burning efficiently. Compare that to a blue flame as opposed to a orange flame. The orange flame is not burning efficiently thus giving off more CO. Same is true with the Mr Heater or sunflower heaters.

Don't know how to post pics e mail me and I'll send them to you. I have had this rigged for 20+ years without a problem. Only had to replace the screens once in that time and replaced a thermocouple. Helped that dad is a plumber and we have this stuff laying around. [email protected]

Doubling the CO2 emission is a real concern in a confined space, just be sure you allow for more ventilation to compensate.

Poor flame is a bad sign, headache, burning in the nose or eyes, nauseated, watch for possible signs of CO2 poisoning.