Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuntzAngling

Vacuum sealers

14 posts in this topic

I think it's time I got one of these for packaging fish. What recommedations or concerns do any of you have with these things?

I use mine all the time.

I use it for packaging fish for freezing.

Packing meat for the freezer.

Meat in marinade.

Freezing vegetables.

Storing coffee beans

etc.

Bob

Like BobT, I use mine a ton... I have a Food Saver, and bought a cheap one to start with, thinking they were all the same.. Not So Much.. I returned it and got a more expensive one, and have been happy ever since.

If you get the bigger models it will handle both size's of plastic 9" or 11". The other thing to look for is the little vacuum hole for attachments so you can use it on large or small canning jars. There are different containers that can use that same hose to marinate meats or store stuff in. If you get into a Fleet Farm or a bigger store that handles all the accessories you will see what I mean. I like to use the jar attachment when I make large batch's of spaghetti sauce so I can vacuum them and then freeze them and they still taste fresh like the day I made it.

I got the food saver and it's great. Keep your box and receipt though. Had one I used once in a few months and went to use it again and it wouldn't seel. Called them and I sent mine in and they sent me a new one. Got that and it wouldn't vac. Did the same and now I have one that works great. It's awesome for all kinds of meat.

Thanks for the good info guys! Very helpful.

And jimalm, I haven't done canning before but we do have a garden at home. With the vacuum hole, do you need to pressure cook the jarred food too or is it then unnecessary?

This will not replace pressure cooking as part of the canning process. What you might do with certain vegies like corn is you could blanch them and then put in a jar and vacuum them. I just like the glass because they will stop any odors from getting in or out.

I've got one and love it. I definitely agree that you should get the nicest one you can afford. The added options are nice. I use mine for everything you can think of.

We buy lots og things in bulk so its great for separating and storing things.

Apparently I will be purchasing a pressure cooker eventually. I'm sold on the sealers with all the bells and whistles. Bag it up!

The one thing you should do is keep a eye on the price of the bags as they can get kinda spendy. Sams club has a box of 6 11" rolls that is a decent deal,

I've stayed with Food-Saver bags. Have any of you tried any of the other brands out there. They are less expensive but I don't know if they are as good and protect as well.

Bob

I have bought some good bags on e bay that work great.I have over 50 bags of strawberrys in the freezer from this past summer.